Has anyone tried Dov Schmidt Pernambuco Viola Bow? If not, what are your first impressions?

March 3, 2018, 9:06 PM · Here's the link to the bow: http://www.dov-music.com/proddetail.asp?prod=8159B.

At $249, it looks to be a great option for me as I am on a budget and need a versatile bow that's well-balanced and can do long strokes and spiccato easily. Any thoughts?

Replies (9)

March 3, 2018, 9:10 PM · Are you able to try a bunch at a local store and see what you like?
Edited: March 4, 2018, 9:57 AM · Yes, but typically the bows being sold are in the $1,000+ range as all they sell here in Seattle are bows by the local makers.
March 3, 2018, 11:51 PM · I don't think anyone's selling genuine Pernambuco bows for as little as $250, Chinese "Pernambuco" maybe but that's another species.
Edited: March 5, 2018, 11:45 PM · Lyndon, I'll take your word for it. All of the old, genuine Pernambuco bows I have tried seem to be at least $850. I guess I will have to go to my local violin shop in Downtown Seattle and try a few more.
March 4, 2018, 6:36 PM · You should be able to find antique or vintage Pernambuco Nickel mount bows for $500.
Edited: March 4, 2018, 6:58 PM · You simply have to try it. Even if I had a good experience with these bows, in that price range I either would have been lucky or not very demanding. Bottom of the line pernambuco bows are made from rejected blanks or pseudo-pernambuco (several wood species are "classified" as pernambuco. E.g. Brasil Wood) basically. It doesn't mean you can't get one you like, I have a $70 bow that is 70% as good (IMO) as my $1300 one.
Edited: March 5, 2018, 3:48 PM · I am in Seattle and I wish that I could sell $1,000+ bow all of the time!

I sell plenty of better bows, the local makers starting at $2500-6k, but mostly sell bows under 1k.

Purchasing a bow via e-mail is a crapshoot.

P.S. My shop is in Ballard...

March 5, 2018, 4:11 PM · I bought a nice old bow from Duane for about $500, and it served me well for a long time. He let me try a whole bunch of bows before I made a decision.

(Hey, Duane! When it warms up a little, I'll bring the fiddle around so you can give it a check up! Ballard is a long way from West Seattle when you're old and lazy like I am.)

March 5, 2018, 11:48 PM · Duane, many friends of mine have said good things about you, though I've never gotten the chance to check out your shop. Will try to make the trip down to your shop next weekend to check out some new bows!

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases