Should I pick Kaplan Amo or Kaplan Vivo? Can I Mix?

Edited: March 2, 2018, 9:51 PM · Does anyone have experience with mixing Kaplan Amo/Vivo?

I know you can mix strings for say, infeld red/blue...

I need to play over an orchestra in April, performing Mozart No.4 in D: Not sure if I should just get vivo or just get amo

Replies (9)

March 2, 2018, 9:25 PM · You've now said "No. 4 in G" and "No. 3 in D". Neither of these are correct. It's 3 in G, and 4 in D. Are you doing 3 or 4?

See your other thread about this: LINK

As far as I know, Amo and Vivo are not intended to be mixed, unlike Infeld Red/Blue.

In general, when you try out strings you've never used before, I'd suggest trying the whole set together, then swapping the E with something else if need be.

March 2, 2018, 10:46 PM · Can your violin project with its current setup?
March 3, 2018, 11:19 AM · Why Kaplans at all? They feel rough, like guitar strings. For about the same price you could install Dominates and know what to expect.
Edited: March 3, 2018, 5:19 PM · yes, I'm opinionated about strings.

I agree with Jeff.

also, I don't think Infeld Blue and Reds are all that great of a mix. I like Infeld blue, but don't like Infeld Red. The Reds are a fair bit thicker than the blue, boomy and grainy for my taste, and too wide a difference between the two. speaking of the under rated "D" string as per the other thread, one might get away with a red D with a blue A, but not the other way around. and then you'd prolly hafta use a red G, and that would give the set a red flavor instead of a blue flavor.

March 3, 2018, 2:50 PM · Amp and Vivo are different enough that I’d be surprised if they mixed well, but maybe you have a weird violin :-) I know some players that mix Vivo and Zyex though.

Why would you want to mix two sets you haven’t tried yet?

March 3, 2018, 4:55 PM · I second Jeff's opinion.
March 3, 2018, 5:18 PM · Rocky: you mean you third it. I beat you to the 2nd :-)
March 3, 2018, 9:09 PM · My violin is a wilkanowski, darker and a little muddy on the GDA with evah gold.

Vivo's seem loud,, clean and precise...I am considering them

March 4, 2018, 12:50 PM · Be aware that focus (the "clean" sound), which can make a violin seem superficially louder under the ear, often equates to less projection, not more.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases