March 2, 2018, 8:44 AM · March 1, 2018, 9:20 PM · I have always admired any individual who can play a musical instrument. If she or he can play the instrument(s) well, then s/he has my undying respect and admiration — (and jealousy). :)
I thoroughly enjoy reading the advice, direction, support, encouragement, and even the good ole heated debate (every now and then), given on by most bloggers. I learn so much and feel delighted to be a beginning violin student; I have been taking private lessons for almost one year. I am very grateful for this opportunity. I am in awe of my instructor’s prowess as a violinist. Given the fact that the majority of you on this blog site are exceptionally talented violin manipulators and/or of professional caliber, I’m wondering if any of you have taken out an insurance policy out on your hands? (Lloyd’s of London, anyone?). If so, what was your determining factor(s)? How much is the annual premium? Who determines you are “worth” insuring. Are there professional violinist panels who say yea or nay? Is insurance something you seriously consider, or am I talking nonsense? I bet Perlman et al. have insurance for their hands as well as their instruments.
I await your responses with respectful anticipation. Thanks in advance for your replies. [EDIT]

Replies (5)

March 2, 2018, 8:53 AM · For pros, this is covered by disability insurance, just like people in other professions. Disability insurance is pretty straightforward; it covers your inability to make a living in the profession you're qualified for.
March 2, 2018, 9:31 AM · Many of us outside the pro-music industry have disability insurance through our employers. Usually it's not enough to really cover us if we have some kind of career-ending accident, but enough to possibly transition to something else. As a chemist/professor, the worst thing I could imagine would be blindness or a head injury that compromise my memory or cognition. That is why I am extremely careful to always use proper eye protection when I am in the lab, and I don't go in for bungee jumping or other "extreme" sports.
March 2, 2018, 3:31 PM · What Lydia said. Disability insurance through my employer. Unfortunately I cannot get private disability insurance due to a pre-existing condition.
March 4, 2018, 1:51 AM · Thanks for your input!
Edited: March 4, 2018, 2:07 AM · Not sure if this is the same in every country, but here you need to keep an eye on having the right type of insurance: Type A would pay if a vioinist cuts off a finger since it is essential for this profession. Type B would tell you to get one of 99% jobs where you do not absolutely need it.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Corilon Violins

American Viola Society Festival and Primrose International Viola Competition