How much practicing should be enough for a beginner?

March 1, 2018, 9:54 AM · I picked up the violin two weeks ago and I've been practicing an hour a day on the weekdays and more than an hour on weekends. I've been practiceling approximately 8-10 hours a week. Is this enough? Or a lot? Should I increase my time or lessen it? Or is my current time good enough?
Please and thank you~

Replies (6)

March 1, 2018, 11:19 AM · Violetta, one hour per day on average is certainly enough, it is actually a lot for a beginner, but as long as you enjoy it, it is not too much. If you have time and want to do even more, fine. If you want to do a bit less, also fine. It is often said that beginners should practice in between lessons, but not too much, and should not experiment beyond what they have learnt so far, because they will only learn bad habits which then need to be unlearnt by the teacher. First of all, I am not so sure of the validity of that remark, although you hear it often. But second, in your case, it does not apply anyway, since you do not have a teacher and try to teach yourself based on what you learn through the Internet. So, enjoy and I hope the passion for the violin stays with you!
March 1, 2018, 11:50 AM · I would say dont overdo it, you need to absorbe what you should learn through the Internet and if you practise a lot before you know what you really should do, you will only learn bad habits. More than an hour sounds much, but if you have time watch great violinists on youtube a lot. Listen to the songs you play on youtube and such a lot. I would bet that time spent on youtube is going to advance you more in the long run that time spent with the violin at this stage knowing you dont have a teacher.
March 1, 2018, 1:08 PM · I can only attest to what not to do, like when you find yourself with a large bracket of time free of obligations in which to be anti social and have a romantic, one on one evening with your violin. I'm still recovering from a 6 hour trek, playing up to 40 minutes non stop. I am careful not to play longer than 15 minutes lest my right back muscle start burning/tingling/twitching and taking 30 to 40 minutes of rest between with some stretching. It forces one to practice smarter, at any rate.
March 1, 2018, 9:16 PM · It helps to develop a sense of when you're drifting away from what you were taught in your most recent few lessons. That's a good stopping point.
March 1, 2018, 10:45 PM · For the first year beginner, 1/2 per day, every day is about right.
Form and posture are critical at this stage. You don't want to turn "wrong" motions into a habit. One of my teachers had an interesting, but rather expensive method for beginners; for the first months, the violin stayed with the teacher and the student had 3 short lessons per week. jq
March 2, 2018, 5:50 AM · Thanks for the replies! :)

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Corilon Violins

American Viola Society Festival and Primrose International Viola Competition