Lydian Quartet, Bird Catching from Above

March 1, 2018, 6:38 AM ·

I stumbled across this and liked it very much. wondering how many others have heard this.

and while I'm at it, I heard this snippet of Pagannini. The 'riff' at 3:36 really grabbed my ear. What is the name of this piece? did Pagannini compose it? I'd like to listen to the whole thing.

Replies (12)

Edited: March 1, 2018, 7:59 AM · well nuts! I clicked share > embed, then copied the address (not the code?) using ctrl C > ctrl V.

Please have mercy on a dinosaur and help me out.

I've often wondered why there are almost no working video links posted on is it too much trouble, or just too difficult?? I can't see it being too difficult for anyone who knows computers.

if y'all would post some vid's about what you're talking about, I'd certainly watch them.

March 1, 2018, 8:10 AM · Both links work fine for me Dave but it's the same one twice, i.e. I think you just forgot to copy the Paganini link.

I do like Bird Catching - must hear some more of it. The Lydian Quartet look like the kind of people I play with, their instruments look nothing special too, but boy! And somehow their music room sounds like a concert hall.

Edited: March 1, 2018, 12:33 PM · Thanks, Steve: some further questions, as I don't have much for a reference point. is Bird Catching...fairly well known, considered innovative or 'progressive', what level of difficulty is it?

when I click the links nothing happens. is there some special way to open them? I tried to contact Laurie Niles, clicked contact, upgrade to windows 10 came up. heard windows 10 wasn't the greatest. don't wanna do that, windows 7 works fine for me, if it aint broke don't fix it. would that be the problem?

back to Paganini... I'll try that again using the same method as I did with the Birds.

re-cap:the lines I really like are at 3:36, looking for the name of the piece. or...

...still nothing when I click on either of these 2 links.

March 1, 2018, 3:05 PM · Just clicking won't do it - highlight the whole line by dragging the cursor over it with the left button compressed, press @copy@, then paste onto the address line at the top of the screen. I have to explain this to my partner almost every week..

I'd say Bird Catching is very innovative although within the genre you might call minimalism. Not well known and much too hard for me to play!

I'll now try the Paganini and report back.,

March 1, 2018, 9:58 PM · Steve: please define/expound 'minimalism'

while I'm waiting for Paganini, might as well put my 2 cents in. on that documentary link, one of his critics said He creates beauty and then destroys it. I like that. in my own small way, I like to do the same with blues improv... play some nice sweet stuff and then rip it all up with some modal Maj7 arpeggios...or something like that.

March 2, 2018, 3:13 AM · Dave, I think that part is from Paganini Caprice 24.

Here the whole piece played by Hilary Hahn

On a side note:
My name is David, I´m from Germany and new to this side. Have been lurking for a few months now, love this forum and finally decided to register today. Hi everyone :-)

March 2, 2018, 4:12 AM · Define minimalism? There's nothing to it (almost)
Edited: March 2, 2018, 7:41 AM · just finished watching Hillary Hahn Caprice 24. yup, that's the one. Hard to find words...reinforces my somewhat biased opinion that the Violin is the Queen of Instruments, mystical and magical, with no equal.
Thank you David Fishcer.

btw, what violin does Hillary play?

Steve: seems like a 'whole lot of nuthin' (almost) ;-)

ok, I guess I do have more to say about Paganini's composition and Hillary's performance. I'm basically a classical virgin. at several points I was squirming in my chair and wincing because I could hardly believe what I was seeing and hearing.

March 3, 2018, 12:40 AM · By uncanny coincidence the Californian guy who claims to have invented minimalism, LaMonte Young, appeared on a BBC documentary last night and was asked to define it. His line was "that which is created with a minimum of means", by which I think he includes intellectual as well as musical. His instructions for various pieces include "Draw a straight line and follow it", to release a butterfly into the room and the notes B and F# "to be held for a long time". Of course, being the founder of the genre he's practically expected to be the most extreme. Most composers of "minimalist" works are inclined to reject the label (e.g. John Adams) but don't attempt to hide their influences. I reckon any wannabee composer could put together a "minimalist" piece with the minimum of effort, training and technique, but the poor performers are often required to demonstrate great powers of counting, concentration and stamina.
Edited: March 3, 2018, 2:39 AM · well. I don't see that in Bird Catching. are there not enough notes to qualify as mediumist or maximumist?

and I'm not getting intellectually created with a minimum of means. I would think that intellectually, it would at least qualify as mediumist :-)

anyways, I think it's great, just great!

March 3, 2018, 2:33 AM · You're quite right - "economical" I'd say. I expect Steven Snowden hates the "minimalist" label. Here's an interview with him:

March 3, 2018, 3:13 AM · because I was impressed by 'Birds', and after reading the interview, I think I am more 'hip' than I thought I was. nyuk nyuk.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Corilon Violins

American Viola Society Festival and Primrose International Viola Competition