Anyone tried new Larsen Virtuoso viola strings?

Edited: February 27, 2018, 10:27 AM · It's time to replace the original strings that are on my son's Kiernoziak viola. It came from the maker with C G and D PIs and a Larsen A; a really good setup on that instrument so am tempted to stick with that for now. But I see that Larsen has started selling "Virtuoso" C G and D viola strings in both medium and soloist (higher tension) variants. Has anyone tried these for viola yet?

Replies (6)

February 27, 2018, 11:28 AM · I would ask a luthier or experienced viola player at a store who is in a position to try your son's viola and judge how it will handle the higher tension strings.

In my experience these things can be tricky for any instrument - and even more so for violas. Each instrument is different.

February 27, 2018, 1:19 PM · I know, hard to generalize about how they will perform on a specific instrument. But general observations by an experienced player can still be useful. The good news is it's not nearly as expensive as deciding between Magnacores or what's currently on my daughter's cello when it's time for that :-).
Edited: March 1, 2018, 6:58 AM · I just installed Larsen Virtuoso Viola Strings (Strong Gauge) today!!!! I play on a Frederic Chaudière viola (16” Strad model). I love it. Before, I had Pirastro Evah Pirazzi’s and my viola produced more of a “tenor” like sound. With the Larsen, my viola has a deeper, richer, powerful, warmer (cello-like) sound. These strings were recommended to me by Violinist Renaud Capucon, Cellist Gautier Capucon and Cellist Pablo Fernandez. I cannot put down my viola tonight.
March 1, 2018, 3:38 AM · Sounds good, thanks Sung-Duk. The folks I just ordered from are including a second A string as a promo which will get used regardless, looking forward to hearing these.
March 1, 2018, 4:38 AM · OK, why must you tempt me so????

Who has these available for sale?

March 1, 2018, 9:07 AM · Concord Musical Supplies, pricing seems fair especially with the extra A, less than what PIs would run.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Corilon Violins

American Viola Society Festival and Primrose International Viola Competition