Which Comford Shoulder Cradle is better?

February 25, 2018, 4:47 AM · So I am in the process of choosing a shoulder rest and in my country there is no violin shop that you can go to and try different shoulder rests. I've been playing with the Bon Musica for quite a long time but it's definitely not the right one for me so now I have to blind guess and I saw that many people were satisfied with how comfortable the Comford Shouler Cradle was. Now I'm asking some of you if you have ever tried it, how good is it and most importantly which do I choose? Do I go for medium or tall (I have quite a long neck), and do I go for plastic or gold because I heard that the gold one was very heavy?

Replies (11)

February 25, 2018, 8:37 AM · I'm not sure why you have singled out these shoulder rests over others, but I can say they have two disadvantages:

1) They will fit in very few violin cases
2) The two in my posession suffered from the plastic turning impossibly sticky despite being kept at room temperature.

February 25, 2018, 6:21 PM · I use a Comford, although I'm not sure it's the last/best option for me. I don't have a long neck. I appreciated the way in which it freed up my left hand–it's very stable-feeling...but many pedagogues feel that it's better to be able to move the violin more dynamically than you do when you use a Comford. It's really an anchor, with all that this implies. I've also been told by people watching me play that the Comford might require me to lift my right arm higher than would otherwise be advisable, which causes shoulder tension. YMMV.

I went for the heavier, gold version because I heard that the tone was better. Haven't tried the plastic one but it's certainly cheaper and lighter and if this you're still shopping around, it might be a better one to test. Dimitri is right: it doesn't fit as easily into most cases. I can store it in the large end compartment of my oblong Bobelock case, just barely (if I lay it flat and then stash extra strings/cleaning cloth on top of it.)

February 25, 2018, 6:23 PM · I hate it when plastic turns sticky. That happened to a pair of Nikon binoculars that I bought and they just feel really gross.
Edited: February 25, 2018, 9:49 PM · I use the plastic one and I think it’s a good rest: It seems very ergonomic in terms of design.. I also think that it helps free up my left hand. I went for the standard size as I don’t have a long neck. I heard you might get some more resonance with the gold model.
Edited: February 26, 2018, 12:10 PM · Have you tried the ”invisi-rest”? Weighs nothing, fits every violin and every case, and is guaranteed to never to fall off or scratch the varnish. And, it NEVER gets sticky...

Cheers Carlo

February 26, 2018, 2:50 AM · Thank you, Carlo! I knew we could trust you to bring that one up :-)
But I have to disagree on the stickiness. I tried an invisi-rest last week and found that it sticks very hard to my violin; I had to pry it off with a chisel....
Edited: February 26, 2018, 10:15 AM · The Comford rest has an interesting design, but I find that it's too bulky for most people. It also wants to elevate the violin up off of the collar bone, which I do not like. I think it if were somewhat more adjustable and less bulky it might be a good rest for a lot of people, but development on the rest appears to have stopped.

Gil Shaham uses one though, IIRC.

February 26, 2018, 7:42 AM · Carlo, the Invisi-Rest can get sticky. That is why Anne-Sophie Mutter uses a piece of chamois. :)
February 26, 2018, 10:40 AM · @Paul. I suspect that it Ms Mutter that is getting sticky not the rest...

Cheers Carlo

February 27, 2018, 11:37 AM · I have both the metal and plastic. I have a long neck, so they are helpful with that. Also for me it tends to work well with a center/center chinrest. The metal one muffles the sound quite a bit, so I wouldn't recommend it. Fitting in a case MAY be problematic. I recently retired mine in favor of the korfker should rest. Not cheap, but doesn't muffle the sound at all, and feels as secure as the comfort or the bon-musica. Highly recommended if you don't mind spending 200
February 27, 2018, 1:26 PM · In my experience: for a select few, the Comford is a life-saver. For everyone else, it's completely useless.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases