Brahms edition and cadenza

June 1, 2017, 9:18 AM · Recently my daughter's violin teacher suggested Brahms violin concerto for her next piece. Could you recommend an edition? I know Joachim's cadenza is the standard, but I am also wondering whether Milstein's cadenza is available in a printed form.

Thanks.

Replies (13)

June 1, 2017, 12:36 PM · They didn't recommend a particular edition?
June 1, 2017, 1:38 PM · Nope. I think it will take at least a month to move on to Brahms and since her teacher is quite accommodating, I just wanted to get a head start on this.
June 1, 2017, 1:53 PM · Don't forget the Kreisler cadenza. :-)

Milstein's cadenza is available in a book titled "Nathan Milstein: Four Violin Cadenzas" - LINK.

June 1, 2017, 6:14 PM · Hi Lydia,

Thanks for the link. Didn't know his cadenza was available. For the concerto itself, there are at least three editions: Henle, Baerenreiter, and Simrock. Do you have a preferred edition? And if you do, could you explain? Thanks.

June 1, 2017, 7:27 PM · I wrote a really cool cadenza to Brahms, but I don't know where it is. Maybe I'll find it one day.
June 1, 2017, 7:38 PM · @Marty: I sent you an e-mail through your school teaching account quite a while back.

Did you ever get it, I was wondering? :)

June 1, 2017, 8:14 PM · I suggest you ask your daughter's teacher which edition you should get.
June 1, 2017, 8:29 PM · The printed Milstein cadenza is different from (and considerably shorter) than the one on his recording.

I have heard of there being cadenzas by Ysaye, Enescu, and Kubelik as well, but I haven't had any luck finding them. Ricci's recording of the Ysaye cadenza is very impressive.

June 1, 2017, 8:40 PM · I actually learned this concerto from the International edition. If I were learning it now I'd choose an urtext, though -- preference would be up to the teacher.
June 2, 2017, 11:18 AM · Thank you all for the helpful comments and suggestions. Mary Ellen and Lydia, I'll ask the teacher about her preferred edition. I just wanted to have an informed opinion. Brian, thanks for pointing out the discrepancy between the performance and printed edition of Milstein cadenza.

Best,

Sung Han

June 6, 2017, 12:47 PM · I would go with the Simrock edition with Joachim's edits and cadenza. Joachim had a great deal of input into the composition of the piece, so his edits are probably important indications of Brahms's intentions.
June 6, 2017, 1:31 PM · Simrock is available on IMSLP, if I recall correctly, so no need to buy the edition. It's factored into modern urtexts, too.
June 6, 2017, 3:30 PM · Hi Tom and Lydia,

Thank you for the suggestion. I got the Simrock edition from IMSLP.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Coda Bow