Do miracles exist? (please read the details. It's not joke!)

Edited: February 24, 2018, 2:40 AM · So I had been struggling a lot with first finger positions and couldn't advance. I was advised to cut my nails pretty short and to take care of the bow speed and pressure but that only made the 'sound' (more of a noise) less scratchy. After feeling disheartened (for the umpteenth time XD) I decided to just practice open strings more thinking that maybe the problem lied there. As I was practicing I decided to try to experiment again (impatient as I am). I started with the G string; didn't work. Then I worked on making scratchy noises on purposes more out of frustration and less to get the idea of what I was found wrong. I tried again on the A string but that didn't work wither. But then when I was making scratchy noises on the E string it suddenly made a good sound. I'm not joking!
I started to slowly make way to the A and then to the D then the G string but the scratchiness was gone!
I think I probably did something right. Or maybe I was blessed by the violin gods!! :D

Replies (12)

February 22, 2018, 9:49 PM · By the way, I'm not tonedeaf. If I was my family would have been 'friendly' enough to remind how gifting me the violin was the biggest mistake they ever made. Lol
February 22, 2018, 9:55 PM · A lot of times these things just eventually fall into place.

Congratulations on taking a step towards a nice tone!

February 22, 2018, 10:41 PM · Sometimes miraculous things do happen, but you don't know when. Don't keep your hopes up on them.
February 23, 2018, 1:09 AM · @Michael McGrath thank you.
@Ella Yu I know. I'm well aware that I'll have to work really hard and be very patient with this instrument. ^_^
February 23, 2018, 3:18 AM · You are obviously thrilled by starting playing the violin.

The thing is, progress is not always lightning fast. It is not uncommon for beginners to spend several weeks/few months before they can perform decent string crossings and land the first position decently.

Just keep practicing. It will come eventually. impatience will do you no good.

February 23, 2018, 10:05 AM · @Bruno Camargo my first position isn't decent. But the scratchiness that wouldn't let me advance has been reduced. That's what I meant. It has reduced enough to motivate me from a new light. :)
February 23, 2018, 12:17 PM · Practicing tends to help make miracles happen!
Edited: February 23, 2018, 1:53 PM · You just learned an invaluable lesson. Practice with the aim to fix what you know you do wrong. Repeating the same wrong way over and over doesn't make it become right, it only reinforce the wrong way. (And repeating what you do right needlessly take away time that you need to fix what you do wrong) What you did is to isolate the problem (the right hand) by focusing on the most fundamental without being distracted by all the complicated things happening with the left hand, so you could focus on the right hand alone. Well done. Remember that in the future. As you progress you will encounter other situations where what one hand does is limiting what the other hand can do. Isolating the root of problems is the path to fixing them. Not easy to do and this is where a teacher is invaluable in helping you doing just that.
February 23, 2018, 3:26 PM · Violetta!

I guess you can call them miracles. As Roger noted, practice eventually works. I can still remember way back in my beginning days my tone was terrible. Then one day, my violin just sang, albeit briefly. It took me a while to make the good tone permanent but I still remember that first moment when it all came together. There will be progress and plateaus and then more progress. Congratulations.

February 23, 2018, 6:11 PM · There was a masterclass video that was on Medici where Joyce DiDonato talked about practice ethics, in which she noted, “don’t recreate what just worked, analyse the process you went through to create that result.” I think the “miracle” was actually a result of your practice, and while it might stick around for a long long time, it might also be beneficial to take a step back to really understand what you did correctly!
February 23, 2018, 6:39 PM · The first of many.
February 23, 2018, 8:36 PM · @Roger St-Pierre thank you so much for putting it into words. I needed that ^_^
@Cassio Chae you're right about that. I'll try to do that. Thanks ^_^
@George Wells thank you. ^_^
This forum has been so helpful I don't have enough words to thank everyone here.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Corilon Violins

American Viola Society Festival and Primrose International Viola Competition