violists, Which Kreutzer edition do you like and why?

Edited: February 22, 2018, 9:21 PM · I'm revisiting Kreutzer and usually use the Galamian International on violin. Any thoughts on the viola editions? I play a small viola and usually use similar fingerings.

Replies (11)

Edited: February 23, 2018, 5:33 AM · 1) A near Urtext edition (IMSLP?), with original fingerings;
2) Galamian, for long fingers, with groping along the strings;
3) Flesch, for short fingers (and violists!) with groping across the strings.
I have grafted these fingerings into my Ricordi viola edition.
Edited: February 23, 2018, 4:15 PM · Went and looked at IM Pagels (like the Kayser on imslp and Kalmus) that does not use treble clef when it should and has densely packed lines. I bought the Schirmer Blumenau (like Riccordi Consolini on imslp). I liked the use of treble clef and wider spaced measures as I don't heve these memorized and will likely add my own markings. The fingerings are fairly similar at first glance. I'll likely put the Kayser and Consolini on my ipad for reference along with keeping my Galamian and new copy of Flesch out (thanks Adrian.)
February 23, 2018, 5:32 PM · Check out "Das Studium der Viola" book 2. It is an excellent set of viola studies, not violin studies transcribed for viola! They are at the level of Kreutzer.
February 23, 2018, 6:45 PM · I can understand why *some* "violin studies transcribed for viola" might not be suitable but Kreutzer? Why should Kreutzer transcribed for viola be considered second-class? Too many trills? (Don't violists need to learn trills?)
Edited: February 24, 2018, 3:22 PM · I have nothing against Kreutzer, quite contrary... just a personal preference toward the original writings for viola. There is something special in this edition, because the authors were all viola players and wrote for the instrument still emerging from anonymity. Also, in my opinion some of them are very musical and beautiful - could be easily performed. Editor has done a great job.
Oh... and there are a few with trills.
Edited: February 24, 2018, 2:41 AM · Kreutzers studies have the merit of being well composed, and actually increase our sense of harmonic progression, modulation, form etc, better than e.g. Dont.
I would rather practice scales and repertoire fragments than poorly written études. But I take Kreutzer, (with Flesch fingerings!) on vacation.

And let's remember that its a collection, not a method.

February 24, 2018, 8:48 AM · I do have l’ecole de l’alto (sp?) published by leduc vol1-4,6 (5 is lost in the mail somewhere,) Which sound similar to das stadium, but I will definitely check that out! I do find myself often using the Mazas volumes transcribed for viola and I keep going back to the bordogni vocalises, neither originally for viola.
February 24, 2018, 9:29 AM · Thanks Rocky I will check it out. Who's the author?
Edited: February 24, 2018, 3:25 PM · Ulrich Druner, Barenreiter 6614. Issued with co-operation with the International Viola Society Salzburg.
https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/search?Ntt=Das+studium+der+viola

If you find book 3, (the level of Paganini) please let me know. I have been searching for a long time, but it seems to be out of print.
Edited: February 28, 2018, 8:24 PM · For Kreutzer (viola), International Music Edition (Pagels)
Edited: March 4, 2018, 10:35 AM · Sung-Duk Song, what specifically do you like about Pagels? Just curious as he has done viola editions of other violin works.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases