Manfred Schäfer Violin (Update)

February 19, 2018, 9:11 PM · Hello all,

As promised, I just want to update on an old thread (http://www.violinist.com/discussion/thread.cfm?page=314) about the Manfred Schaefer (MS) violin.

Finally a new batch of MS violins has arrived last week at Bows For Strings. My daughter and her teacher extensively evaluated a 803 MS model along with a new Jay Haide L'ancienne.

Anyway, my daughter is now very happy with her own Manfred Schaefer. Its price is still affordable (around AU$ 2K) for a made-in-Germany violin.

That's it.

Replies (4)

February 19, 2018, 10:10 PM · Congrats! Wonderful to hear!
Edited: February 20, 2018, 9:21 AM · As I told you before, the term "made in Germany" only legally means that the finishing touches were done in Germany, at that low price the instrument itself would have had to be made in Eastern Europe or more likely China, where labour rates are low enough to manufacture a violin for that low a price.

The Jay Haide is also made in China with finishing touches in the USA.

Edited: February 20, 2018, 10:07 AM · I don't know the Schäfer violins, but for a violin in the 2k-range it could very well be an original german instrument. Roderich Paesold instruments and bows for example are still genuinely made in Baiersdorf (near Nürnberg). And Paesold violins start around $450 (model PA-401E). The PA-802E I started with would be about $700 I guess, and maybe €800 in europe. I wouldn't expect much handicraft for that money but a lot of machine use.
There are also german companies that produce in Romania.
Edited: February 20, 2018, 2:23 PM · again if they're under $3000 retail they can't be made in germany, the german labour rates are too high for that, you get 20 times as many hours of labour in china for the same money as you get in germany, you do the math.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases