Best coffee and restaurants near Juilliard?

June 1, 2017, 4:38 AM · I'm here in Manhattan for just a few more days for the Starling-DeLay Symposium on Violin Studies and looking for good grub! ;)

Replies (13)

June 1, 2017, 5:45 AM · If you are in the mood for Indian food and Indian coffee, do try Chennai garden on east 28th st! It's quite amazing!

Also, there is this Amazing gelato place (fresco gelateria) and an equally amazing rice pudding place (rice to riches)!

June 1, 2017, 7:28 AM · For the best gourmet burger in town, from the bestest and freshest (never frozen) beef, check out PJ Clarke's across from Lincoln Center. Remember to say "toasted bun" when you order. Amazing fries too. It's not a huge burger (not sure what you're use to), and no super fancy toppings, but you can get bacon, cheese, etc. if you like.

For coffee, I recommend Starbucks, you should find about two per block.

June 1, 2017, 9:21 AM · All close to Lincoln Center:

Fiorello’s 1900 Broadway (betw/ 63rd and 64th) a bit pricey
Excellent Italian antipasti bar; you point, they dish.
And a few years ago we ordered the chocolate mousse for two and it was soooo memorable, in the best possible way

More Affordable, but not far :

Bouchon Bakery Ten Columbus Circle (third floor)

Le Pain Quotidien 60 W 65th (near Lincoln Center) - a chain, but it is reasonably priced and pleasant

June 1, 2017, 9:47 AM · Just a few blocks away from Juilliard (around the corner from David Segal Violins) you'll find Joe Coffee - best lattes in town.

http://joenewyork.com/locations/upper-west/

June 2, 2017, 4:33 AM · Bouchon bakery. Give it a try. Get the lemon tart ;)
Edited: June 2, 2017, 10:18 AM · Please do not go to chain coffee shops if there is a locally owned place nearby. I have never been to Starbucks in Blacksburg because we have Mill Mountain, Bollo's etc.
June 12, 2017, 6:54 AM · That's not the question - The REAL question is: Good music school near Bouchon's Bakery?
June 12, 2017, 7:03 AM · Laurie,
For next time: Kefi up near 81st St is very good, and reasonably priced (Greek)

Bouchon is okay. Kayser on the Broadway/south side of Columbus Circle is good.

There's Whole Foods in Columbus Circle (the Time Warner Center), in the basement, for a quick bite to eat.

I don't drink coffee anymore, so I cannot comment on that.

Rosa Mexicano is just south of Lincoln Center, and is also good/reasonably priced.

Epicerie Bouloud is great for sandwiches and so on. Very close to Juilliard.

I realize that all but one of my recommendations has multiple locations, or is a chain, but those are the ones that are consistently reliable and don't cost an arm and a leg.

June 12, 2017, 7:17 AM · A restaurant can have multiple locations and still be locally owned and operated. Good examples are Mill Mountain Coffee and Tea (six locations stretching from Blacksburg to Richmond) and Our Daily Bread Bistro and Bakery (Blacksburg, Salem, and Roanoke).
June 12, 2017, 8:20 AM · Indeed, Paul!
June 13, 2017, 2:07 PM · Thank you for the ideas, everyone! I did find some good places -- for coffee, Joe on Columbia -- man, it was good, but I only got to go once! Also Rosa Mexicano, they actually had Mexican Coke. And a wonderful Indian restaurant, Sapphire, near Columbia Circle. Had such a great time in NY!
June 13, 2017, 5:50 PM · I think our local international store has Mexican Coke. But then, few places are as civilized as Blacksburg....
June 14, 2017, 11:25 AM · I used to walk by Sapphire all the time for work and never went in, I suppose I should go one of these days instead of going to Whole Foods.

Love Mexican Coke!

Glad you had a great time! Thank you for your great reporting!!!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Coda Bow