credit where credit is due

February 17, 2018, 4:04 AM · I don't listen to very much classical violin, because quite frankly, I'm too intimidated by it. (probably something I should try and get over)

...in the violin shop trying out a couple of fiddles and I asked the shop girl (classically trained) to play one. She played a G scale first position. you can't get much more simple than that. I was taken aback. The intonation was flawless with precise, even, timing and absolutely seamless over 4 strings.

I said 'that is the best G scale I've ever heard'. She smiled and said 'comes from countless hours of practice and repetition.

...just wanted to share that little musical moment with you classical players, and give credit where credit is due

Replies (2)

February 17, 2018, 10:35 AM · Thanks for doing the justice! With a certain composers like Mozart, the tolerance for technical flaw is extremely low, so there is nothing to hide with even the tiniest degrees of imperfection. Which makes practice even more important that what it already should be.
February 17, 2018, 10:54 AM · The music I remember most fondly is Pierre Holstein playing two quarter notes. I have listened to that many many times. The precision was flawless. That is what I strive for while practicing.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases