Amber E + Evah Pirazzi

Edited: February 15, 2018, 8:51 PM · Hi Everyone -

All the geeking out on strings on this forum has me experimenting with E-strings because I've got a bunch of whistling going on (especially on double stop crossovers). Of course it can't possibly be my technique. ;-)

Recently, I switched out my brand new Evah Pirazzi Platinum E for a Warchal Amber E and I'd say that 90%+ of the whistling is gone. So that's good.

But the combination of the Amber E + my other strings (all Evah Pirazzi) seems to have created a warmer/darker sound on a violin that was already leaning that way. I think I prefer the previous brighter sound, but I may get used to the new combo over time.

My question - anyone running an Amber E with Evah Pirazzi A/D/G? Curious to hear thoughts on this combination in general.

Replies (9)

Edited: February 15, 2018, 8:55 PM · It's Evah Pirazzi - Pirastro is the company that makes them and many other brands.

A different E can change the response and sound of any or all of the other strings. For me, the winning E has been the Thomastk Peter Infeld Platinum-plated E string (it never has whistled for me). I've tried it with A/D/G/ from Peter Infeld (Thomastic), Vision Solo (Thomastic) and Evah Pirazzi GOLD (Pirastro). All were great, but on all my violins (4) I now like the EP GOLD best. The most remarkable change on two of my violins has been that I can now play two octave scales up their G strings (all 3 sets of strings that I tried) with the PI Platinum E on them and I could not get a clean 2nd Octave G-string scale sound on 2 of them them previously.

I have not tried the Pirastro Platinum or Gold E strings - but I do have one of each waiting around for the time when I have to change an E string.

February 15, 2018, 8:51 PM · y - will edit the post.
February 15, 2018, 9:17 PM · EPs are really bright strings. If the platinum E whistles too much, try switching to the regular carbon-steel E.

I've used an Amber E with the EP Golds, which is a nice combo on my current and past violins.

February 16, 2018, 8:10 AM · Thanks Andrew and Lydia.

I will definitely pick up a set of EP Golds the next time I add a new string set.

Have you guys tried the entire Warchal Amber string set btw? Also thinking about buying one of those.

Edited: February 16, 2018, 1:04 PM · I tried that combo --EP Gold plus Amber E -- and found I didn't like it at all. The EP Golds sounded totally wrong for my violin, and they seemed to produce to be a clash with the Amber E, making for some harsh overtones. I got rid of them after a month of trying to figure out what was wrong. My violin is presently fitted with Vision Titanium Solo plus an Amber E, and this combination sounds much smoother and richer. No harsh overtones. The full Warchal Amber set in itself I found to be beautifully nuanced, and reminds me of Eudoxa (gut core) as they used to be. Will probably give the Amber set another trial round after the present strings wear out.
February 17, 2018, 3:37 AM · Have you guys tried the warchal brilliant set?
February 17, 2018, 4:24 AM · just a comment about the Amber E. I thought they maintained their volume and tone higher up, more so than some other E's I've tried.
February 17, 2018, 11:51 AM · I haven't tried Brilliant, but Brilliant Vintage is a wonderful set (I substitute the Amber E).
February 18, 2018, 5:41 PM · After a few days of practice/break-in the tone of the Amber E is starting to change. Feels brighter and seems to better match the EP strings. I’m liking the impact on double stops and still getting used to the feel of the string, which is surprisingly curvy to the touch where the spirals were originally.

Thanks for all of the feedback. Some EP Golds and the rest of the Warchal Amber set will be on my shopping list. Interesting how the Warchal Amber set is significantly cheaper price-wise - not sure why.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Corilon Violins

American Viola Society Festival and Primrose International Viola Competition