Snapped string + Vivaldi in a minor 3rd movement

February 14, 2018, 6:02 PM · What should the tempo be? It says Presto, but...

My A string snapped, but performance is tonight. I have 2 solutions:
(1) Use Pirastro Gold, they are the ones I'm currently using but completely new. I can have about an hour before the performance.

(2) Use the old ones, they aren't gut ones, varies in brand but I haven't used them in a long time and may be a bit rusty

My audience wouldn't have a high critique of music, thankfully.
What would be the best choice? Thanks

Replies (6)

February 14, 2018, 6:26 PM · E strings break in very quickly. Use the new one and make sure to keep tuning it as you break it in.
February 14, 2018, 11:13 PM · E or A ?

A gut A can be overstretched before playing. I think.

Edited: February 15, 2018, 9:29 AM · Why not give a Spirocore A a try - if it was the A that snapped. Spirocores are reliable strings with a very acceptable tone (if they were ok for Il Quartetto Italiano then ...). As I cellist I used Spirocores for several years and am currently using a Spirocore on my main orchestral violin in this string setup: Pirastro Gold E, Spirocore A, and Eudoxa D and G - a satisfying mix, but I may try Spirocore D and G when the Eudoxas wear out.
February 15, 2018, 8:40 AM · Vision strings have a very fast break in period.

I consider mm of 80 to be the minimum performance tempo but I would rather hear something played well under tempo than sloppily up to tempo. Remember that allegro also tells you the character of the piece not just fast.

The Bach double is also marked allegro yet if you listen to different professional recordings of it, often it is not done any where near mm 120.

February 15, 2018, 9:19 AM · I think I'm correct in saying that Paganini's Moto Perpetuo is (or was) marked as Allegro. Unfortunately, there are some modern misunderstandings of that instruction that have probably frightened students not only away from the Moto Perpetuo but from other pieces as well. Clean, accurate playing should always trump speed for its own sake.
February 15, 2018, 11:58 PM · Sorry I missed this and its too late now but the obvious answer is use the old used string as the new one won't possibly be stable enough for the concert in a few hours.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin