Extended Chinrest?

February 14, 2018, 12:26 AM · A few years back I remember seeing a chinrest online that was designed to be ~behind~ the violin (for people with very long limbs, as a way of moving the violin away from the player by a couple more inches than normal).

But now I can't find it for the life of me. Does anyone remember this?

Replies (9)

February 14, 2018, 8:42 AM · not sure if this is what you mean, but the WAVE chinrest extends out slightly from the body of the instrument. I have one and I love it.
February 14, 2018, 3:01 PM · I remember seeing an extended chinrest somewhere. As I recall it was a homemade contraption, not an off the shelf product. I can't remember where I saw it. I think it was a video, so possibly youtube.....
As Karen I use the Wave chinrest and like it a lot.
February 14, 2018, 3:22 PM · Hmmmm it may not have ever been made into an actual product....

I may just improvise and create my own. I have a student with very long limbs and instead of switching him to viola, I'm going to try and move the violin away from him through modification of his setup.

Switching him to a Comford was the first thing I've done (which helps significantly, and perhaps will be enough just by itself... on that note, I find the Comford to be TERRIBLE for 99% of people). It allows his overall violin position to be pushed out by about 1", which allows his bow arm to move WAY more naturally, but his chin isn't exactly settled on the chinrest in this position. It works well enough for now, but simply isn't ideal.

I'll figure something out! Just would have been handy if a product was already developed.

I should mention that I also own a kreddle but it doesn't have the ability to move significantly enough in this particular direction to fix the issue. The chin plate is also too small for this particular student.

February 14, 2018, 4:47 PM · Yes I know what are you talking about. Several years ago I have tried a model, the instrument is about 2 inches forward and it allows you to customize the angels and height of both the chinrest and shoulder rest.

Only downsides was that it was incredibly heavy and very expensive (almost $200 if I remember correctly, but perhaps they have a cheaper model now.

Ahh and here it is: http://www.adjustablechinrests.co.uk

Yep still as expensive I as remembered it.

February 14, 2018, 10:09 PM · Wow that is a complicated solution! Seems really heavy duty though, which is cool. Thanks for finding it!

I think I'm just going to reverse his center-mounted chinrest so it's hanging towards the player rather than over the tailpiece, and then use coat-hanger wire to provide structural support by connecting the Comford Shoulder Cradle to the unsupported edge of the chinrest. Should be a lot lighter and work equally well.

Maybe I'll post pics if it goes well.

Edited: February 15, 2018, 5:14 AM · Dorian, I've looked at that pic of the adjustable chinrest and the first thing that occurred to me was if it shifts the violin 2" away from the player then it would be like playing a 16" viola fitted with standard length violin strings. That could be doing weird things to the violinist's posture and resultant playing of the instrument, especially over any extended period of time.

My feeling is that if that system really worked then it would have taken off by now, irrespective of the price, and we'd be seeing it in some sort of regular use.

February 15, 2018, 1:21 PM · Trust me, Trevor, when I say that some students have arms long enough to make the standard length do much much more weird things to their posture as opposed to having the violin situated further away from them. It would be like you or I playing on a 1/2 size violin. Slightly tall/long players can simply compensate by holding the violin more leftward than normal, but there's only so far left a very large player can hold the violin before it becomes a tremendous difficulty.

These are students that, anatomically, should be playing on a 16" viola (minimum), but want to play the violin.

In an ideal world, bigger violins would just exist (much like violas, where sizes are all over the place). But for now, they don't seem to. Only exception I know of is the slightly larger Maggini model. And I can't seem to find a great selection of that.

It's very few students that actually have limbs long enough to justify such a contraption, so I wouldn't judge the system's effectiveness based on its proliferation in the general violin world. Chances are that for most people it would hurt their form, but for the few that need it, it's a life saver.

Lastly, we should all remember that the violin wasn't designed around the anatomy of the human body whatsoever. If it were, it would look much different (I know of a few luthiers that have tried to make this change, and are criticized for breaking tradition). So while we might say "well that would change the sound unfavorably!", we should avoid saying "well that would change the posture of the violinist!" Because changing the posture and resultant playing is exactly the intention of such a device. And that's a good thing.

February 15, 2018, 1:33 PM · Erik, thank you for putting forward that cogent other side of the argument! I must say that it never occurred to me, being of average size and build, that there are other violinists around for whom a normal size violin is awkwardly too small.
February 15, 2018, 3:42 PM · The extra inch or two forward actually didn't disturb my playing at all, and I tried it on a viola no less.

I think it's an interesting solution, probably work for a few, but overall I think in general it's a ridiculously over-priced contraption...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin