Professional 3/4 Violin?

February 13, 2018, 11:03 AM · Hello! I am currently studying violin performance in my first year of undergrad. Lately, my professors and I are starting to realize that I need to upgrade from my 7/8 intermediate violin to a professional instrument. HOWEVER, here is the catch: I might need to potentially step down to a 3/4 violin. Before University, I had no problem playing on a 7/8 violin. However, as I start tackling Paganini caprices and the harder violin concerti (such as the Tchaikovsky violin concerto), my hands are starting to feel strained. To give you an idea of how small I am, I stand at around 4 ft 8 inches. So far, I have heard about a violin/viola maker known as Douglas Cox who makes high quality fractional-sized instruments. Has anyone had experience with any of his instruments? Please feel free to leave the names of any other fractional sized violin makers/vendors. I currently play on a 7/8 Ming Jiang Zhu 903 Model.

Replies (23)

February 13, 2018, 12:17 PM · I was lucky to have once been loaned a very nice 3/4 violin that's like a full size in virtually every aspect. However, such instruments are, unfortunately, a bit difficult to find. Mine was an older one made in Europe, I guess. I'd try a variety of 3/4 violins in the thousand-dollar range and pick your favourite. Alternatively, a 7/8 with smaller dimensions might be an option.
Edited: February 13, 2018, 12:36 PM · I may be able to help you with a professional level 3/4 or 7/8. There are several nice antiques in that size right now, French and German instruments, fine 3/4 JTL in Gand & Bernardel like workmanship, mint 7/8 JB Colin, good Berlin and Markneukirchen 3/4.. You can contact me and I can get more specific info regarding dimensions and length of your arm. String length is an important factor as is the upper bouts for Paganini. www.bayfinestrings.com
February 13, 2018, 12:36 PM · There is a maker named John Young who works in Salt Lake City who made a custom violin for a friend of mine (professional) with mobility issues, with a shorter string length and smaller upper bout (the violin appears like a normal fullsize to the casual eye). He also makes 3/4 violins. I recommend seeing if he can help you.
Edited: February 13, 2018, 2:29 PM · My local violin-maker told me that there are a great many small adjustments that the maker can apply to the design of a new instrument that will allow you to have the same approximate string length but with a smaller overall instrument -- and vice versa. Of course the difference between 4/4 and 3/4 is significant, so one should perhaps not expect miracles. Still, as Mary Ellen suggested, you could consider commissioning something. The thing is you might not get the same "try before you buy" guarantee that makers sometimes offer for standard-model instruments. That's why I think it would be smarter to see if you can get to a shop (perhaps Thomas's shop) where there are at least a few decent 3/4 in stock because then all you're risking is the airfare to get there. Potter used to have a 3/4 Vuillaume, I don't know if they sold it.

Ella suggested "3/4 violins in the $1000 range." I have one for sale, actually, and it's a good student violin (Scott Cao 750), but you need better. My 3/4 violin belongs in the hands of a child.

February 13, 2018, 2:29 PM · You might want to look into the maker Lukas Wronski based in NYC. I recently got to hear one of his instruments and it was fantastic. He might be able to make a custom instrument for you, if you can afford it.
February 13, 2018, 2:31 PM · There are lots of great makers, but maybe not so many with experience making fractionals. You want to look for that.
February 13, 2018, 2:33 PM · I believe Lukas makes fractionals.
February 13, 2018, 3:27 PM · I thank all of you that have contributed to the post so far. Thomas, I am interested in the violins you suggested so expect an email coming from me soon. In terms of price range, I know that good quality fractional instrument will cost in the thousands so I am definitely keeping that in mind when searching for my next instrument.
February 13, 2018, 4:12 PM · I have made a couple of 3/4 violins that turned out quite well. I have a friend who has a 3/4 Gagliano. I have, in the past, sold a Jacques Camurat that was quite fine, and have seen a 3/4 David VanZandt that was wonderful.

They are out there, just a bit more difficult to find.

February 13, 2018, 4:54 PM · Paul, just to clarify that when I said "thousand-dollar range" I referred to 3/4 violins that cost at least $1000. That can mean $5000, or $10000, or whatever. The OPs interpretation was the one I had in mind.
February 13, 2018, 6:06 PM · Tenths and other big extensions feel like a strain to most players. If you haven't spent a lot of time doing extensions in the past, you may need to build some strength and endurance, and possibly learn to place your hand properly for maximum stretch.

Before you invest a lot of money in a 3/4, I think you might want to consider how you're likely to use your violin post-graduation. If it's going to be primarily orchestra and chamber music, you may find the fuller sound of the 7/8 to be preferable, professionally. In a professional orchestra audition, nobody is going to be testing your ability to play tenths, but they will be judging your sound.

February 13, 2018, 7:21 PM · I do agree that you'll need to learn to stretch and place your hand optimally for 10ths. If that doesn't work for you on a 7/8, go for a 3/4 or try other 7/8s to see how they fit you. Strain injury prevention is still a high priority.
Edited: February 14, 2018, 2:28 AM · Sure Angelica,happy to help. There is some leeway with setup to find the optimal string length for your playing dependent on your arm and finger length, not necessarily your height. Possible solutions are likely an elongated 3/4 violin vibrating string length, or possibly shortened 7/8 violin string length. I have a lot of experience with setup, so its best to see musicians in person to work on ergonomics considering the special requirements you have for playing the violin. Maximizing resonance is an arcane thing and although there are set formulas for setup, deviation can do wonders for instruments. I enjoy working with colleagues to address their issues and requirements, it is my specialty!
Edited: February 14, 2018, 5:02 AM · When we were shopping for good violas last year we ran across a beautiful one by Canadian maker John Newton that although full-sized with a very full sound, had reduced string length, upper bouts, and neck width/thickness, to the point that everyone's comment was that it handled like a violin :-). Perfect instrument for someone with smaller hands and stature, it gave up nothing in the sound. I think this is the point that several other folks here are making, you can still have a full-size instrument if you find a maker who has had success at these adjustments. (BTW I only have experience with his violas but Newton was super to talk with and pricing was almost too good to be true for such fine workmanship.)
February 14, 2018, 8:56 AM · Also one to try: Hermann Janzen in BC makes a really nice del Gesu model that is something like a 7/8, but has small shoulders.
February 14, 2018, 9:23 AM · https://www.rubinstein-akademie.de/en/contests/international-competition-for-young-violinists-2016/

People from that competition should now about 3/4.

February 16, 2018, 12:11 PM · I've made and heard successful 3/4 size violins.
You may not need to go that small. There are a few things to consider; the violin body length, neck length and string length. You can have these customized to fit your body dimensions to maximize tone. You could end up with a 7/8 size with round upper bouts and a 3/4 string length. Stretching exercises do help to spread your fingers and make the hard passages easier.
February 16, 2018, 4:36 PM · I generally agree with John. Also consider neck thickness/width. Stretching exercises are a good way to help spread the fingers out more. However, be very cautious when you do them because if you overstretch too much, especially to the point of pain/discomfort, you'll very likely get serious strain injuries. To minimize your chances of strain injury, try to stretch your hands out in small increments and stop when you feel any pain/discomfort.
February 18, 2018, 12:28 PM · This is a discussion of personal interest. A few years ago I had a complete shoulder replacement because of an accident. The big problem I have now is a deficit in exterior rotation in my left arm. This means I can't push my forearm to my left to get it under the violin. I have devised a way of holding the violin (essentially at a 45 degree angle) which makes it possible to play, however, not to be able to shift from 3rd to first position on the g string. It is easier on a 3/4 instrument. So my question is are there any adjustments of the instrument that can be made to make it possible to do this. I am looking into getting a 7/8 fiddle by the way.
February 18, 2018, 1:21 PM · I personally know a luthier that makes a full-sized professional violin with good sound, but it has a cut-out in the upper right quadrant which makes playing in high positions, particularly on the G, very easy.

That design may be of interest to you, Bruce.

February 18, 2018, 2:14 PM · The problem is not playing high on the G, but low (first and second Position.) Thanks, though, Eric
February 18, 2018, 4:15 PM · Erik, might be of interest to the OP, though a shorter string length is in order for her as well.
February 19, 2018, 5:36 PM · 4ft 8 in? Wow. Yeah you should probably use a 3/4 violin. Although like what everyone else has also said, you can try to find a smaller 7/8 violin. Also though, your hand size might affect playability too however.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin