Breval - Cello Sonata in C - Violin Transcription?

February 13, 2018, 9:28 AM · Anyone know if Breval’s Cello Sonata in C is available in a violin transcription? I googled but I can’t come up with anything.

Thank you.

Replies (10)

February 13, 2018, 9:45 AM · If it's never been done then why not be the first to make such a transcription?
February 13, 2018, 2:07 PM · The easiest thing to do would be:
(1) Download Musescore.
(2) Enter the cello part as it appears in the Suzuki edition.
(3) Use Musescore to transpose the entire piece and change the clef.
(4) Post your edition on Musescore so that everyone else can enjoy it too.
February 13, 2018, 5:34 PM · Transposing a piece from cello to violin, or vice versa, isn't always a straightforward mechanical process. For playable success significant adjustments may have to be made en route. For instance, a brilliant high position passage on the cello with extensive use of the thumb position would be difficult as such on the violin, and might not even work. The cello is also quite capable of a not-too-difficult 4-1/2 to 5 octave range (see the Kodaly Sonata Op 8), which could well lead to tears of frustration on the violin with a literal transposition.

Having said that, works from the Baroque era are probably more amenable to transposition with minimal alteration than works from later periods.

Edited: February 13, 2018, 7:09 PM · Yes ... exactly. The Breval Sonata (known to the kids as "Snotta") is not virtuoso stuff.
February 14, 2018, 6:11 AM · Thanks for the replies. My daughter is currently studying the Breval in her cello lessons, and I wanted to duet it with her on the violin. I'll see about transposing it myself.
Edited: February 14, 2018, 4:56 PM · Sounds like fun! I have played viola along with some of my daughter's cello pieces. I just read the bass clef.
February 14, 2018, 11:44 PM · The Breval is a well written piece, and a simple transposition methinks. I conducted it with a wonderful seven year old cello soloist for my summer music festival's past season.
February 15, 2018, 10:29 AM · hi Trevor, could you give an example of what would be a high thumb-position passage on the cello that would be more or less impossible to play on the violin? it's interesting that the cello has a 5 octave range, I didn't know that.
Edited: February 16, 2018, 9:03 AM · Jean, the last movement of Kodaly's Sonata for solo cello in B minor, Op 8. The thumb across the A and D strings provides that extra stop in the top half of the fingerboard while the fingers are busy on the two strings. Regarding the cello's compass, it isn't too difficult to play notes halfway between the fingerboard and bridge and get a decent sound, whereas the similar position on the violin would be iffy in the extreme unless the player, bow and violin were top notch - and a good sound engineer in the recording studio wouldn't come amiss either ;)

The Kodaly Op 8 is worth viewing on YouTube for the outstanding performance by Janos Starker, who has really made that work his own over many years. The cello in the Kodaly uses scordatura. The C and G strings are tuned down half a tone, which makes for a very resonant instrument in B minor. The sonata finishes with a fff B major 10th, the top note (B) of which is 5 octaves above the open B string.

Edited: February 16, 2018, 9:49 AM · I see Trevor many thanks and thanks for the viewing tip. edit: I just had a look, must admit I did not know Janos Starker, what a phenomenon! also read a bit on him on Wikipedia now.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases