Starting a series on bow technique

February 12, 2018, 8:46 AM · Hi everyone!

I have started making a series of tuition videos on Sevciks 40 Variations. Those belong to the best exercises for bow technique and I plan on making a tutorial on each variation about every two weeks or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WPZVV1sp08&t=5s

Do let me know if you find this helpful.
I would be especially interested in any comments from people using the Russian bow technique since I play with the Franco-belgian technique. It would be great to discuss the differences.

Replies (7)

February 12, 2018, 10:53 AM · I watched your video and it's very good. Sevcik is not something I did as a youngster (I did other studies) but my daughter is doing this on the cello -- so the theme is quite familiar!

I have a question about the very first section of the video. You are swaying gently with your playing, and I see that's very natural for you. I was taught, however, that if one sways with one's scroll moving toward the left during an upbow, that this is a counterproductive movement since the bow is necessarily chasing after the violin! My teacher showed me that by doing just the opposite -- moving the scroll actually slightly opposite the movement of the bow can give a more compact and efficient movement overall. (But then quickly he said probably I would be even better to keep my scroll still and avoid the gyration entirely.)

February 12, 2018, 11:28 AM · Thanks for the feedback! You have an interesting point and you are right. Too much movement of the violin can become a problem for the bow. Especially in bouncing bowings. Also, yes, in general if one moves it is better most of the time to move the violin towards the frog in an up bow and vice versa. In slow parts one can get a nice effect sometimes by reversing this as long as it is not too much. Just like it is good to keep the violin still it should not be fixed into one position.
February 12, 2018, 3:31 PM · Both motions are right!

A body swing can induce a stroke in the same direction,and briefly anticipate the return stroke. In fast, short notes, we are left with this "anticipation", so bow and violin will move in opposite directions.

February 12, 2018, 9:22 PM · Hi Vivien,
The video is great! I really like what you do with finger flexibility and the double stop practicing technique. I teach Op. 3 all the time, so this will be a good resource for my students and I can send them to this resource. I look forward to the others! Thanks for sharing!
February 13, 2018, 12:31 AM · Hi Vivien, thank you for this video, I find it very helpful. I was taught Flech's "Fingerstrich" from the very beginning (using Auer's Violin School Bk 1, all open strings). Since I cannot bend my thumb properly, bow control and finger flexibility remain important issues and your exercises are a very good resource. I'm looking forward to your next videos!
February 13, 2018, 10:13 AM · Thanks a lot for the positive feedback :)

Susanna: since you are teaching op.3 do let me know in the comments when you teach something differently. I am very interested in different methods of bow technique.

February 13, 2018, 1:00 PM · Vivien - will do :) Thanks!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases