2 New Compositions Finished

Edited: February 12, 2018, 2:44 PM · After not writing/recording anything for 2+ years, I've finally composed and recorded 2 new pieces.

Here they are:

https://soundcloud.com/erik-williams-480392197/a-new-beginning

https://soundcloud.com/erik-williams-480392197/life-love-and-death

EDIT: if you listen on laptop or phone speakers, you will hear about half of what is recorded. Use headphones or proper speakers!

Replies (9)

February 11, 2018, 9:09 PM · Beautiful! I hope you won't wait another two years to do more, and please continue to share. I plan to take up composing myself one day, so your work is a real inspiration.
February 12, 2018, 1:17 AM · Thanks Gabriel for the kind words!
February 12, 2018, 1:24 AM · Very romantic. Looking forward for the whole album
February 12, 2018, 2:41 PM · Lol, I actually made these with the intention of focusing on video game music (with an acoustic/orchestral twist). You think I should go the album route instead? :P
February 12, 2018, 3:26 PM · Ha) you can make a game sound (do gamers like this? Did you ask them?)and sell to the game fans your disk )))) i can imagine such a disk in my car.... why not...
February 13, 2018, 2:25 AM · Lol I don't really know my market yet. I'm just thinking that video games are a nice niche for me, since I'm capable of both writing/producing/recording all by myself, and most video games want an orchestral sound but aren't willing to pay to get the real thing.

For now, I'm just going to keep making music because it's fun, and we'll see where it takes me :)

February 13, 2018, 4:51 AM · I enjoyed listening.
February 13, 2018, 2:44 PM · I also listened (and through "proper speakers" in my studio), and enjoyed your works. It is good you are back on the horse, Erik.

Just to be a bit provocative, how do you intend to develop from here? Or, to put it another way, what technical, compositional goals have you set yourself, and how are you going about building your craft?

February 13, 2018, 3:14 PM · Thanks for listening through proper equipment, Graeme! I still haven't achieved a proper "orchestral sound" but I'm getting there (really, I just need to layer multiple takes of the same part to get a "section" sound, but up to this point I've been too lazy to do that..... also "chorus" plug-ins don't make a believable "violin section").

On the other hand, I wonder if what I'm doing isn't more unique and appealing anyways, and perhaps I shouldn't be striving for the sound of an orchestra, but rather my own take on a string ensemble sound. The benefit of stacking tracks on top of each other is that you can have combination of harmonies desired, (for example, one section of music can have 10 violin tracks and only 1 cello track) without the logistical difficulties that this would have in live performance.

I've noticed that when listening back to many of the pieces I have recorded in the past, my own limitations were what defined the sound. In other words, if I'd had access to every instrument and every piece of recording equipment that I desired, the sound might end up more "ordinary." This also might be the case if I did the more traditional route of using notation/piano to write (rather than by recording/deleting/recording/deleting... etc). But by having these limitations, it naturally adds a unique character to the sound. Just some thoughts I've had ...

I've found that only being able to play on violin and viola limits me tremendously because the music doesn't have the depth that it needs. So I learned cello starting about a month ago for those last 2 pieces, and now I'm gaining some fluency on that instrument. You can hear some cello, particularly in "life, love and death", because that was the 2nd piece I recorded so I was more proficient at it.

My next step is to learn Double Bass (and to buy one, much like the cello), so I can add that nice bass layer to the music. It still doesn't have the depth and clarity that I want to achieve, and I think that's because I'm trying to layer too much in an attempt to make up for the lack of a bass line. I need to have a broader pitch range in general.
(Funny enough, I only wanted to learn the cello in a very basic way so I could use it to add bass, but then I found it too interesting to only have it play very basic parts, so now I'm going to use an actual bass for the bass, and record more interesting parts with the cello).

To answer your question more specifically, I don't have any particular goals except to continue developing what I have, and to become more prolific than I've been in the past. I've probably recorded a total of 10 songs in my lifetime (instrumentals... I recorded a few more than that in the past if you count pop music with vocals). So what I really need to do more than anything else right now is simply write music; just put it out there. My natural perfectionist tendencies force me to make each piece more polished and interesting than the last one, so I don't tend to need to make technical goals for myself, as much as simply convincing myself to keep putting music out there and putting the work in. That's definitely my weak link.

I think that if I polish my music enough, it will be a sellable product, simply by the fact that I'm able to combine composition, production, and recording with a fully acoustic sound, all in one package. I think that's something that's difficult to come by. Generally, if someone wants an acoustic orchestral sound without the price of an actual orchestra, their best bet is to use high-level sampling software, but that will never be quite the same as fully acoustic music. Also, I don't really know why I care about making a "sellable product" because money really isn't my concern, and probably never will be. I think it's more a matter of pride and validation for me. It's easy to make something people can appreciate when it's free, but to make something people appreciate after they pay for it; that's something I consider a bigger accomplishment.

In general, my biggest goal is simply to expand on the versatility of what I can do musically. I think it would be nice to be able to invoke any emotion, effectively, and to fit any scene, without the music being even slightly "off". Some scenes need a small ensemble sound, with minimal reverb and an intimate acoustic. Other need an expansive, vast wall of orchestra sound that would fit more grand scenes. And I'd like to eventually be able to achieve both of these things effectively, all with my own 2 hands and not having to rely on others in the process.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin