Which Edition?

May 30, 2017, 11:17 PM · Hello! I am interested in purchasing the music for De Beriot's 7th concerto and Scene de Ballet. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what edition of either of them to get.

Replies (17)

May 31, 2017, 8:37 AM · Anyone?
May 31, 2017, 9:42 AM · Barbara Barber for Scene de Ballet.
Edited: May 31, 2017, 10:54 AM · The one from book 6 right? Is the Barenreiter any good for scene de ballet? What about the concerto?
May 31, 2017, 6:47 PM · I'd be surprised if Barenreiter has published Scene de Ballet.
May 31, 2017, 7:00 PM · They have, and the 9th concerto.
May 31, 2017, 7:12 PM · Barenreiter has published a whole lineup of student concertos and showpieces; well-edited and beautifully engraved. Read here on their website:

https://www.baerenreiter.com/en/catalogue/music-education-and-performance-literature/baerenreiters-concert-pieces/

May 31, 2017, 7:29 PM · Another vote for Barbara Barber Scene de Ballet, and as a bonus you get other pieces of a similar level as well in the collection. I like her editing a lot.

Barenreiter is certainly the gold standard.

May 31, 2017, 7:51 PM · I found a collection of all 10 De Beriot concertos and got that. I also got the Barbara Barber book and a mini bust of Brahms :) thanks for the advice.
May 31, 2017, 7:54 PM · Why is Barenreiter the gold standard? I've heard that before and I don't know why. I only have the Barenreiter Bach sonatas/partitas that my teacher wanted me to get, and it didn't seem super amazing.
May 31, 2017, 9:34 PM · Because they have great scholarship, very eye-friendly paper colour and music formatting, and minimal editing suggestions kept in parantheses, all at a very reasonable price.

Plus, each cover is a work of art, and you can't place value on art (although in this case we have). :D

Also, a good selection of lesser-played wors are included in the catalogue as well. :)

May 31, 2017, 10:06 PM · Barenreiter and Henle are both good, and your choice between them (or other critical scholarly urtext) is generally going to be on a case-by-case basis.

But for student works, you don't necessarily want scholarly urtext; you want a good, possibly opinionated edition with excellent default markings.

June 1, 2017, 7:11 AM · "I only have the Barenreiter Bach sonatas/partitas that my teacher wanted me to get, and it didn't seem super amazing."

It's what that Bach edition LACKS that makes it "super amazing." Fingers, bowings, dynamics, and articulations. It's like food: the fewer added ingredients, the better it is for us.

June 1, 2017, 7:20 AM · Well, gourmet food can be delicious if prepared healthy, but in terms of music it is usually more is less, and nobody likes over-notation (modern composer that compose without researching, I'm giving you the stink eye!) :D
Edited: June 1, 2017, 8:25 AM · I'm with Lydia on this one. Since I was 12 my learning has been mostly on my own (violin, cello as well as viola) and most of my playing has been reading in ensembles. On cello, especially, there are so many fingering possibilities that it is helpful to have some regions laid out for you the first time you have to play music. There is none of that in urtext editions. Even if I later choose to vary the fingerings (and bowings) it is helpful to have them in front of me the first time I play something - especially when it is the first time I ever see it -- and sometimes the first time I ever hear it.

It is also interesting to see how some of the greats have edited the parts (sometimes to overcome their own weaknesses-thinking of Menuhin). And I will admit that I have often found others' fingerings a distraction on violin scores - especially when they don't agree with mine!

If you are going to have the time to actually study a piece of music, that is different - but who has time?

June 1, 2017, 9:04 AM · I think Barbara Barber is fine for de Beriot pieces. Urtext starts making sense with Mozart, major romantic concertos plus Bach S&P.
June 1, 2017, 12:51 PM · I study all my music... :D
June 2, 2017, 4:39 AM · @A.O.
Take this from me as I have many years under my belt in gourmet cooking from basic to professional levels; I have even practiced with the likes of Curtis Duffy (chef of Grace in Chicago).
Gourmet food is incredibly simple. The amount of ingredients is shocking.
All it really is is just 3-5 very similar flavors with some seasoning; usually a mix that is preprepared.
So yes, simpler is better

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music