Saint-Saëns VC Different Editions and Different Notes

February 5, 2018, 10:21 PM · So I was looking at Saint-Saëns' Third Violin Concerto on IMSLP, and noticed that the sixteenth note arpeggio run, starting on an A-flat after all of the trills and triplets is different in some editions. The Schirmer Edition goes up to a very high, E, unlike all of the other editions that I have looked at on IMSLP. I have never heard what is printed on the Schirmer edition, performed however, so I am wondering why it is so different. Does anybody know what the composer actually wrote in his score, and why these are printed differently?

Replies (5)

February 5, 2018, 10:33 PM · Go to https://www.baylor.edu/music/index.php?id=925996
for my edition . It is available for free download. There is an edited part, also an urtext version after the edited one and a piano reduction. This will answer your question(s) and without having to pay around $35 for the Henle version.
February 6, 2018, 8:14 AM · Wonderful resource, thanks, Bruce!
February 7, 2018, 8:42 AM · Thanks Mary Ellen. I'm sure you also noticed my editions of Lalo, Mendelssohn, and Bruch G. It's the same deal. You might wish to take a look at the scale duos in which the teacher accompanies the student playing the scales.
Edited: February 13, 2018, 7:28 PM · Hi Harrison, you’re referring to the Emile Sauret edition of Saint-Saens Violin Concerto #3 published by Schirmer. It was typical during the 19th Century and early 20th Century for violinist/editors such as Sauret, Auer, Nachez, Joachim and Wilhelmj among others to make some revisions to the urtext of a piece if they felt it was necessary. I remember David Nadien liked using the revised Sauret passage. I’ve heard a few others do it as well. I think it can be quite effective if you have the fingers - especially if there are other violinists in the room when you play it. :)
February 14, 2018, 8:04 PM · Haha, yeah, Nate. Same deal with the super fast sixteenth note 4 octave g scale in there. Yes, it is the Schirmer version, edited by Sauret. Thanks!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases