Wonderful Video on American Violins

Edited: February 4, 2018, 2:31 PM · A new Library of Congress interview of David Bromberg and his collection. Many examples with beautiful instruments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLKW60x6acE

Replies (12)

February 4, 2018, 4:40 PM · Really interesting, Thomas. Thanks for sharing this.
February 5, 2018, 2:03 AM · thanks!
February 6, 2018, 11:54 PM · Thank you :) nice video
February 7, 2018, 5:48 PM · What, no violins by James R. Carlisle from Cincinnati?
February 8, 2018, 9:14 AM · I didn't see my Asa White either. But I think David said he was concentrating on the Chicago area in that video.
February 10, 2018, 1:19 PM · Thanks Tom for ponting this wonderful video out. I have had an American violin as my principle instrument for a long time and although I might be somewhat biased, think that it is comparable to any of the fine Italians out there. Is it fair for me to make that statement never having played one of them Gags or Guads or Strads?
Edited: February 11, 2018, 10:46 AM · Jeff, not only is it a fair statement, but it's vacuously true! Likewise my Polish-made violin is just as good as all the Strads, Bergonzis, and del Gesu's that I've tried. It all comes down to how you phrase it.
February 11, 2018, 5:35 PM · Paul, Paul, Paul... -L- as a matter of fact, both of my current instruments sound better than the Strad I had years ago. I made a hundred bucks on the Strad, after the cost at the flea market, and what Johnny down at "Johmmy Spanaezzi's Violins and Insurance Adjustment" charged me for strings and a bridge.

I didn't have the funds for the repairs so I gave him the bow that came with it. His eyes got big as saucers and he thanked my profusely. Funny, he moved right after I gave him that bow. Last I heard, he had sold his shop, moved to Hawaii, bought a big house and goes to the beach ever day...

Edited: February 11, 2018, 5:51 PM · I did get to play my American-made Strad copy (1715-Emperor, I think) and my Spanish-made Strad-copy (long-pattern, I think) in the back room of my luthier's when he had a 1798 Stradivarius there and an Andrea Guarnerius. So I did get to make the comparisons.

I was really surprised that I went home with my violins without jealousy - except that thinking that if I owned that Strad I could sell it, keep my violin and buy a big house on the beach. They later sold that Strad to the SF Symphony for $2M, which would not buy a big house on the beaches here any longer.

But 55 years ago I did play on an ex-Ole Bull Strad for a few minutes that did put anything else I ever played to shame.

You have to realize that you have to play really well to get the full value from a great violin. I was probably OK when I played the Ole-Bull but not when I played the 1898 - and a lot worse now!

February 11, 2018, 8:17 PM · 1798 Andrew? 1698 maybe? :- )
February 16, 2018, 11:40 PM · I live in Shanghai, and found a Taiwanese violin maker who has done years of research on tone production...and his violins are amazing. At the exhibition here last year, there was a Strad and Del Gesu being shown and played on in the Beare &sons booth, located very close to mine. And I can tell you that this guys violins, (his name is Frank Lee), were pretty hard to distinguish tonally from those great Italian instruments. I now am playing one of his instruments...and would not trade it for anything!!
Edited: February 17, 2018, 2:37 PM · Hey John, do you know Tim Jett? I knew him in Japan and he moved to Shanghai, opened some restaurants and I think he is doing very well.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases