Looking for very good violin making/repair schools in the UK and or Europe

February 4, 2018, 8:02 AM · Hi,

I have just brought an Hopf violin which has damage to the scroll/neck area, and yes I know it could be by one of many Hopf family members.

I am interested in sending it to a violin making/repair school, preferably in the UK but would also consider Europe.

LOOKING FOR THE BEST OUT THERE.

Can anyone here recommend the very best schools here in the UK and or Europe.

Many thanks

Replies (14)

February 4, 2018, 8:13 AM · Why a school and not an established luthier, of whom there are many?
February 4, 2018, 8:33 AM · Hi Trevor

Cost, unless you know one who has an apprentice or does not charge to much?

Edited: February 4, 2018, 9:23 AM · Don't know about best: https://www.south-thames.ac.uk/courses/musical-instrument-making-and-repair.html
Edited: February 4, 2018, 11:21 AM · It occurs to me that since a violin making/repair school would doubtless be run as a business it would make sense for its charges to be comparable to those by an established luthier.
Edited: February 4, 2018, 2:55 PM · Mark, if you are "looking for the best out there", you'd probably be looking for not only someone with solid training, but also years of experience beyond their initial training.
February 4, 2018, 10:37 AM · http://www.liedmeier.nl/ENG/introduction

EXCERPT:

After gymnasium she studied viol at the conservatories in Lyons, France, and the Hague in the Netherlands....

After Conservatory she studied historical instrument making in West Dean College, England and with P. Jaquier in Cucuron, France. Private funding supported her research on old viols in the Nuerenberg, Lisbon and the Hague museum collections. Her precision and integrity were so valued by the Gemeentemuseum of the Hague that she's regularly been doing conservation work for the collection of musical instruments there since 1998.

Her initial participation in exhibitions of historical instrument exhibitions in Berlin, Paris and London immediately generated many commissions for viols, and since then there's been a waiting list....

END EXCERPT

February 4, 2018, 11:01 AM · Trevor: I doubt that a violin sent to a school for repair would be charged at the same rate as an established luthier, as it would no doubt be repaired 'under supervision' by a student.

David: I just want peoples opinions on who they believe are the best schools. Some schools must have a better reputation then others and someone on this site may know who they are.

Bud: Thanks for your suggestion, I will look into South Thames College a little bit more.

I have no money so going directly to a luthier is not an option, I can't help being poor!

February 4, 2018, 1:41 PM · Mittenwald? - German violin, german school...

https://www.instrumentenbauschule.eu/en/

Edited: February 4, 2018, 3:27 PM · Mark, some really fine people have come out the Mittenwald school, the Cremona school, the Newark school, as well as the three major American schools. To the best of my knowledge, the Chicago school is the only one which specifically devotes time to training in repair.

But the school training is just the beginning. For the best in our business, repair and restoration has been a process of life-long learning, not unlike learning to play the violin.

Henrike Hahn, who taught repair and restoration for a while at the Chicago school, was supposed to be really good. She has moved on, and I don't know who they've gotten in to replace her.

February 4, 2018, 3:21 PM · http://www.violinist.com/discussion/archive/24415/
February 5, 2018, 4:59 AM · You should try the Cambridge violin makers shop in Cambridge UK. I went there in the early 90's for one week in summer for 5 years and made my own violin. It was an amazing experience, I learned so much, they have wonderful lectures too ( or they did). You can find them on face book ( Cambridge violin makers).I fully recommend them.
February 5, 2018, 6:35 AM · More likely than not the students would botch the repair job, bad idea.
February 6, 2018, 5:56 AM · Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions, most appreciated.
Edited: February 6, 2018, 9:40 AM · I bought this Hopf for £60 at auction in 2016. It had an open crack below the treble F hole. I took out the sound post, squeezed in some yellow glue (Lyndon faints) and piled heavy stuff on top. It was the first violin I ever owned that sounded like a violin rather than a tin can! My niece (a fiddler) now has it and won't give it up! Moral is, if you didn't pay much don't sweat it!

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases