How to clean blood

Edited: February 2, 2018, 4:13 PM · Let's say hypothetically that someone's blood gets to the body of the violin.

What would be the best way to clean it without damaging the varnish?

Replies (12)

Edited: February 2, 2018, 4:32 PM · How to get rid of blood without leaving any trace or that something has been removed - very difficult. Let us say that, hypothetically, police forensics can usually spot it and even extract DNA samples!
February 2, 2018, 4:32 PM · This might be the most disturbing v.com question ever.
February 2, 2018, 5:19 PM · Mary, I suppose you’ve watched ‘The Red Violin’ (by Francois Gerard - perhaps the most famous movie about this instrument, which is also famous in its own right) in which the maker painted his violin with his dead wife’s blood, using a brush made from her hair, thereby incarnating her soul into it. Much more disturbing IMO :)
Edited: February 2, 2018, 5:22 PM · Did anyone else think of “The Red Violin” after reading this?

ETA....I guess someone else did!

February 2, 2018, 5:24 PM · Yet again, the profile name seams not to be genuine. I would say: call the police before trying to obstruct the justice.
February 2, 2018, 5:36 PM · @Mary Ellen Goree
We're making history here.

@Will Willy
Guess I have to watch that movie now.

In reality, a person with whom I have some acquaintance had a nose bleed while practicing and asked me about it. I have no idea how to clean blood of a violin, but that kind of knowledge may come in handy.

February 2, 2018, 6:03 PM · Ask a violin technician (or even a luthier) who has had a clumsy moment with a sharp.
Edited: February 2, 2018, 7:07 PM · If it were my instrument, I'd probably use a small bit of saliva and a soft polishing cloth. Demian I have to admit though that given your question, your choice of avatar/icon has me wonder... hypothetically that is!
Edited: February 2, 2018, 7:33 PM · Guys I think it's our duty as a music community to call the police, FBI and SWAT right now so we can avoid the crime that's about to happen. It involves blood, tons of blood, and a violin, a Strad if you ask me, because, what kind of criminal is going to care about blood in a regular vulgar violin?

Oh my God, the pieces... I think I just got it!
A Strad is going to be stolen, then the thief will kill the owner. Oh, no Joshua, you're too young, RUN!

See?
That's why you must keep your violin safe in your trunk!
I TOLD you guys!!!

February 3, 2018, 3:14 AM · I didn't do it.

I wasn't there.

You can't prove a thing.

It's a stitch up.

I want my phone call.

And a lawyer. Definitely a lawyer.

Neil

Edited: February 3, 2018, 6:50 AM · Demian, when I typed your name it was autocorrected into ‘Denial’. How strange.

definitely watch the movie; you’ll have more interesting ideas to apply to your violin. (Now it gets really spooky) :-)

February 14, 2018, 9:58 AM · Use the dishwasher. Put it on the “pots and pans” cycle as it is hotter, and add extra detergent. Maybe run it twice to be sure...

Cheers Carlo

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin