After Dvorak and Accolay?

January 31, 2018, 11:21 AM · I'm currently working on the Accolay A minor violin concerto and the Dvorak Romance in F minor. Any tips on what pieces I should play after learning that?

Replies (11)

January 31, 2018, 12:03 PM · That's an interesting and slightly unusual combination. The Dvorak is considerably more challenging. What did you play immediately before these two pieces?
January 31, 2018, 12:13 PM · What does your teacher think?
January 31, 2018, 2:33 PM · I agree with Katie, that's a very strange combination.

Regarding what to play next, that's really a question for your teacher. I often teach DeBeriot #9 immediately after Accolay.

Edited: January 31, 2018, 8:18 PM · Some students may even skip Accolay and Deberiot 9 completely. That was the case with me, but many of her other students have learned at least one of them. Now I've reached a level where I'm elegible for Bruch concerto according to my teacher, though I haven't learned it yet. The repertoire each student learns depends on teacher suggestions and how much freedom teachers give in selecting repertoire. My teacher, for instance, will suggest some appropriate pieces and lets me pick my favourite ones.
February 1, 2018, 6:06 AM · I played de Beriot Concerto #9, Praeludium and allegro by Kreisler and the Beethoven Romance #2 before playing the Accolay and Dvorak.
February 1, 2018, 9:20 AM · It's a shame that the Rode and Kreutzer concerti aren't taught to students anymore. It's really lovely music.
February 1, 2018, 10:42 AM · I don't know these pieces, but there's so many great gems not taught to students anymore. I wish we could revive great and unknown music more often.
February 1, 2018, 2:20 PM · I never played Accolay, but I did play DeBeriot 9, on my long, dull slog through intermediate repertoire. I learned a Rode concerto, too. I didn't like it. (My current teacher does teach a Kreutzer concerto to some of his student.)

I think those pieces fall under the banner of "bearable instructional music", mostly.

February 1, 2018, 3:58 PM · I performed the slow movement of a Kreutzer concerto on a faculty recital called "Kreutzer and friends" (the centerpiece was Beethoven's Kreutzer sonata). The movement I played was pleasant but not very interesting. It was actually the most interesting of all of the Kreutzer concertos I was looking at.
February 1, 2018, 4:05 PM · Some people like wine, some people like soda.
February 1, 2018, 6:41 PM · This sounds round about grade 7. How about Tchaikovsky Canzonetta, John Williams Remembrances, Telemann Fantasies (no 9j, Chanson Russe Stravinsky, Thais Meditation, Monte Czardas

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin