Khachaturian Concerto recordings

Edited: January 28, 2018, 1:55 PM · Who has recorded (including live performances on Youtube) the Khachaturian Concerto with Khachaturian's cadenza, (not the Oistrakh).

Replies (9)

January 30, 2018, 6:13 PM · I believe Louis Kaufman recorded the piece with the original cadenza. His recording was made with the Santa Monica Symphony.
Edited: February 3, 2018, 11:36 AM · Speak of the devil,I just bought an LP of this concerto yesterday with David Oistrakh and the composer conducting.I'm
not sure who wrote the cadenza.Its on the Everest label no.3367.Side B has the Prokofieff Violin Concerto No.1 with the composer conducting.Quite a nice album although somebody used a stylus that wasnt set up correctly .
Edited: February 16, 2018, 2:01 AM · To Bruce Berg & All Khachaturian Violin Concerto Lover's ~

Having made a half hour Jascha Heifetz Violin Master Class, USC, film with Mr. Heifetz, for one in a series of our original 7 films, violinist's might find Heifetz's teaching of myself, in the first movement of the Khachaturian, of interest. Our films are on YouTube, & if interested, go to Jascha Heifetz Violin Master Classes, USC - Khachaturian, JH-7, Elisabeth Matesky *Russian version, (Library of Congress Master Performers) ... Btw, this was a Live performance-lesson before Mr. Heifetz with all film cameras rolling ~

@Peter Carter ~ David Oistrakh's recording of Aram Khachaturian's Violin Concerto with Aram Khachaturian conducting is remarkable & in this older recording he may be performing his (Oistrakh's) own Cadenza - a virtuoso yet enchanting & involved composition of David Oistrakh, the Dedicatee
of the Khachaturian Violin Concerto. If not the Oistrakh Cadenza, then it's the Cadenza of composer Aram Khachaturian, written in to the score and Solo Violin part. My International Edition is browned from so much use, but contains some of Mr. Heifetz's markings, as he wanted me to perform the Khachaturian for our filmed performance - lesson. Please realise our films were an outgrowth of our 3 days a week, 6 hours each day, Violin Master Classes with Jascha Heifetz at USC's Institute for Special Music Studies, along with Chamber Music on Friday afternoons with Heifetz, Piatigorsky & the great British Violist, William Primrose coaching us with fellow students of Piatigorsky & Primrose! It was a great providential blessing which deeply enriched all 7 of our lives including my JH class-mate's, Erick Friedman, Carol Sindell, Robert Witte, Varoujan Kodjian, Adam Han Gorski & Claire Hodgkins. Carol Sindell and I were the youngest in Mr. Heifetz's original First International Violin Master Class, which is on film for all string players to learn from whilst witnessing the legendary Heifetz's teaching "Debut" ~

When concert touring, one usually defers to only one Cadenza as the Khachaturian Cadenza is well over 4 to 5 minutes in length! The Oistrakh is less lengthy yet paints a vivid portrait of Khachaturian's Armenian regality and Verve!!

My Thank You's to Bruce Berg for his lovely remembrance of 'Khachaturian Concerto recordings' on YouTube Live performances ~

Musically from America,

Elisabeth Matesky

Edited: February 16, 2018, 2:44 AM · @Raymond Concannon ~

Your mention of a Live performance of Louis Kaufman with the Santa Monica Symphony in the Los Angeles area in Khachaturian's Violin Concerto playing the Composer, Aram Khachaturian's Cadenza, was unknown to me until happening on to this discussion of Bruce Berg's 'Khachaturian Concerto recording's ...' in which he asks, 'who has recorded (including Live performances on YouTube) the Khachaturian Concerto with Khachaturian's Cadenza, (not the Oistrakh.). Having grown up in LA & knowing Santa Monica & their community orchestra existence, the Louis Kaufman recorded Live performance of the Khachaturian Violin Concerto playing the Khachaturian Cadenza is a marvellous after Valentine's Day revelation!! My late Conductor/ String Expert father, conducted the Santa Monica Symphony as a Guest Conductor on occasion along with many other orchestra's in LA, California, NYC, & throughout Continental Europe including every major Scandinavian capital city of Copenhagen, Oslo, Stockholm, & Bergen, but not once did he ever mention Louis Kaufman's public appearance w/ the Santa Monica Symphony! My father initially taught me the Khachaturian before I was accepted by Jascha Heifetz into his original Violin Master Class at USC! Of course, one grew up listening intently to David Oistrakh's incredible recording of the Khachaturian on '78's!!! It was as a dream to learn this Masterwork for Violin and Orchestra as performed by the Great Oistrakh, which when Oistrakh was first heard on American soil, as a respected colleague of mine in Chicago put it, "The World went crazy!!" So True!!! It was my father who chose the Khachaturian for me to learn and play in public saying, "This concerto suits your Slavic temperament perfectly!" I loved it and still do at this more mature juncture in my life ~ (When Arthur Fiedler's Violin Soloist, on Tour of New York, we gave quite a few public performances of the Khachaturian which were recorded, Live, & I always performed the Khachaturian Cadenza ~ Fiedler was a rather kind Conducting accompanist, who did make some subtle 'cuts' in the lengthy 3rd movement orchestral opening ... When we did our Khachaturian sticht in Baltimore with the Baltimore Symphony, Arthur Fiedler asked, "don't you ever do anything besides practise that fiddle??!!" I politely replied, "Not really, Maestro, because it takes many hours each day to keep in Olympic concert form playing the Khachaturian, Brahms, Bruch, and Sibelius on Tour. " After our performance of the violin concerto, Fiedler ordered me, "Go out on stage and play an Encore - the Bach Chaconne!" I did just that, but concert touring = giving up most of one's 'normal' life, at least for myself ... Other's may not require as much practising or who knows!!

Kindly advise if the recording of Louis Kaufman's Khachaturian w/ the Santa Monica Symphony is available and from whom ~

Thank you, Mr. Concannon, for bringing this to Violinist.com & those who love the music of evocative Aram Khachaturian!!

Musically from afar ~

Elisabeth Matesky *

*www.linkedin.com/Profiled Int'l Musical Career of Elisabeth Matesky

February 16, 2018, 8:42 AM · To Bruce Berg: Leonid Kogan recorded Kachaturiam's cadenza.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9Cy8awTrL0
February 16, 2018, 12:48 PM · Haik Kazazyan,video
:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFAmOkBtK2I
February 17, 2018, 6:13 PM · Thanks for that Elisabeth!
Edited: February 17, 2018, 9:38 PM · Not sure if cadenza is original, but Catherine Manoukian's recording is worth listening!
She recorded it with Armenian philharmonic orchestra, and together they bring the best out of K's music.
February 20, 2018, 7:32 AM · Thanks Elisabeth for that information. Very interesting. I love the story about Arthur Fiedler, who was a violinist in Boston Symphony before he became a conductor.

I found a link to the recording on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7jRTytmAHo

It appears the recording is available on ITunes also.

Ray

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases