vuillaume bow and Caspara da Saloin Brescia violin

Edited: May 28, 2017, 2:29 PM · I came across a unique item during my last search. In an old tattered leather case is a bow with Vuillaume pressed into the wood.

The violin itself is in considerably good condition and has two marking on the I side body. 1. Caspara da Saloin Brescia 1595.
2. Eduard Reichert Dresden, fecit anno 1899.

Im lookong for information on this and how to tell if it's authentic.

There are also some very old scraps of paper with musical notes written and a few other items.

Replies (9)

May 28, 2017, 4:02 PM · Depends what you mean by authentic. The second label suggests the violin was marketed by a large distribution company that used the made-up brand name Eduard Reichert. The violins were the work of hundreds or thousands of anonymous builders. The other label refers to the "model", though I wouldn't expect it to have much in common with a real da Salo. May be similar to a da Salo model I have that has the Karl Hofner trademark on its label.
May 29, 2017, 3:41 PM · The results of several Eduard Reichert violin auction sales by Skinner are at this website:https://www.skinnerinc.com/search?s=Eduard+Reichert

The results for a Vuillaume bow are harder to fix since many great bow makers worked for his shop over time. It would take an expert to determine if it really is an antique bow from the Vuillaume shop and then to determine who actually made it.

May 29, 2017, 3:55 PM · I don't need to be an expert to tell you its more than likely a fake Vuillaume bow as fakes outnumber the real ones by a huge margin.
May 29, 2017, 6:24 PM · Eduard Reichert is not listed in my German makers book, so I assume Bruce is right, its a made up name for a production violin presumably made in Markneukirchen/Schoenbach
May 30, 2017, 12:46 AM · Finding a bow stamped Vuillaume happens quite often, but finding a real one definitly not.
Reichert is propably a trade mark, not a maker. Look at how close those violins are dated at skinnerinc. He mast have been very fast building them ;)
May 30, 2017, 9:58 PM · There are a lot of people here who can help, but with such limited information they can only speculate.

Can you share a photo or two of the items in question? It will still likely be speculation, but it will be more informed speculation!

May 31, 2017, 12:16 AM · Frog, tip, shape, stick where frog is mounted with frog dispatched.
Violin at least top, back, neck mount, scroll from side and back. Closeup of c corner. Side view and button.
Enough light and plain perspectives. Than some might be able to help.
May 31, 2017, 1:33 AM · I'm new to the blog scene so I'll post some pictures later today if I can figure out how!
May 31, 2017, 2:59 AM · Try link to an image hosting site like photobucket.com

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Our Kokopelli
Please support Violinist.com
through
your donation
or sponsorship campaign.

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins