Viola concertos

January 22, 2018, 11:20 AM · What is the order that you follow or followed to learning them?
I´m currently working on the third movement of the J.C. Bach and I don´t really know if I should continue with the hoffmeister in d or the handel in b; what do you think?

Replies (11)

January 22, 2018, 11:23 AM · All I can tell you is that the first viola concerto I ever played was there Zelter.
January 22, 2018, 11:24 AM · you should play the Bruch viola romance. It's a great piece
January 22, 2018, 1:59 PM · What other repertoire are you working on? Depending on your own abilities, concertos at approximately the same level of difficulty can be learned in any order.
January 24, 2018, 1:05 PM · The Handel/Cassadeus would be a very minor step up in difficulty from the J.C. Bach. The Hoffmeister or Stamitz would be a bigger step up in technical level, but still probably doable. The Bruch Romance that Anthony mentioned is probably in between Handel and Hoffmeister from a purely technical perspective. If you have a teacher, I would go with whatever he/she recommends.
I personally did J.C. Bach 1st mvmt, Hoffmeister 1st mvmt.,the Vaughan William Suite Group 1 and then the entire Stamitz Concerto. As a teacher I would say it depends on how well a student is playing the piece as to what to progress to. If my student were playing the J.C. Bach at a high level, I would probably move on to Stamitz/Hoffmeister. If they were struggling a bit, I might have them learn the Handel to solidify the skills covered in the J.C. Bach before moving on.
January 24, 2018, 6:29 PM · Thank you very much. I was talking with my teacher and he said I should be learning the Hoffmeister, then the rolla in E flat or the stamitz in D. I don’t find hoffmeister a very difficult piece but definitely more than the J. C bach.
January 24, 2018, 7:08 PM · Learned at a students' recital I attended that there are TWO Stamitzes in D, of similar difficulty (The one I heard was not the one I had studied in my schooldays and performed the rondo of with our school junior orchestra. The one I had studied had quite a beautiful slow movement and a catchy rondo theme).
January 25, 2018, 9:47 AM · Andrew Victor, I am studying the Zelter concerto right now! How did you like it? Did you play the long-ish cadenza for the 1st mvt?
January 25, 2018, 10:17 AM · Karen, I like it. Isn't it fun? And, yeah, I played it all including the cadenzas.

I'm not really working on it; it is sort of a warm-up piece for me. I regularly play viola in a chamber orchestra - mostly classical music of mid 19th century and earlier, so the viola parts are mostly straight forward and uninteresting and don't need practice - so I try to keep in shape playing other things and this is a main one.

I was also playing monthly viola sonatas with a pianist and those were good too - but she went to Japan in November and I haven't heard from her since.

January 25, 2018, 2:51 PM · Here's how my teachers did it in order of increasing difficulty;

G.P. Telemann and/or Vivaldi A Minor Transcription

Handel/Casesesus and/or JC Bach

Hindemith Trauermusik

Stamitz and/or Hoffmeister

Bruch Romanze

Forsyth or Vaughan Williams ( maybe )

Bartok and/or Walton and/or Hindemith Der Schwanendreher

Weber Andante and Hungarian Rondo

Bowen and/or Paganini Sonata Per La Gran Viola and/or Penderecki and/or Schnitke

Anything else you want to learn that perhaps no one has heard of

January 27, 2018, 5:43 AM · I would start with Telemann. The transcription for viola of Bruch's Kol Nidre is a good place to go after Telemann. Sometime in the last couple of months someone gave a link to a viola repertoire list by levels of difficulty. If you search for and find that, it will tell you all you want to know.
January 29, 2018, 6:27 PM · There's also Harold, and Tertis's arrangement of the Elgar 'Cello Concerto (but viola performances were blown out of the water once the late Jacqueline got going).

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases