So I just broke a string on a rental violin..

January 21, 2018, 10:10 PM · The title says it all, I'm wondering about the costs though. It was during tuning which I have had to do often as the pegs keep slipping. And it was entirely my fault as I wasn't cautious enough.

Replies (13)

January 21, 2018, 10:14 PM · Breaking a string is not a big deal. Just replace it with a new one. The cost of a new string can range from very reasonable to quite expensive but I suspect that the strings on your rental are not expensive. One popular brand of string is Dominants.

If you don't know how to change a string yourself, ask your teacher or take the violin to the shop and have them do it.

I'm more concerned about your comment that the pegs keep slipping. This should not be the case. I would mention this problem to the shop and ask them what can be done. You're paying rental for an instrument in good condition with proper setup; you should have one.

Edited: January 21, 2018, 10:45 PM · You should use the same brand of string that's on the violin, ideally. Good idea to take it to the shop, they're obviously going to know you broke it if you use a different brand, should be about $10
January 22, 2018, 5:25 AM · there maybe spare strings in the case.
January 22, 2018, 12:02 PM · Does the rental program cover the expendable? The music store in my city, their rental program also covers string and bow replacements. A while ago, my daughter broke her bow. I brought it back to the store, and they provide a new bow, no question asked.
Edited: January 22, 2018, 1:21 PM · Ayden, if you've never changed a string, or if you're not sure about the important details (and there are quite a few!) it is very important get an experienced person to show you how, so as to minimize the possibility of breakage and to make tuning that much easier in the future. For example, one thing to watch out for is a kink in the E when you're winding it onto the peg - it's easily done if you're not paying attention (voice of experience). That kink is an instant weakness, and where there is weakness in metal it will propagate at the slightest excuse and you'll soon have an E breaking on the peg.
January 22, 2018, 1:54 PM · Try applying some rosin to the pegs to stop the slipping. Just buy the cheapest string you can find.
January 22, 2018, 2:40 PM · Holy cow. Breaking a bow isn't a trivial thing unless for some reason their rentals have dirt-cheap bows. I imagine that's covered by the insurance payment. (Most shops that rent either build the insurance into the rental contract, or give you the option of buying into insurance rather than paying for repairs if you damage the violin or bow.)

Strings are part of regular maintenance, and most rental contracts don't cover them. Just bring the violin into the shop and have them replace the string. You'll pay for the string, which normally is pretty inexpensive.

Edited: January 22, 2018, 2:50 PM · Ayden, if you broke a string, you'll probably be doing some jail time. But if you hire a really expensive attorney, you might get off with community service, an ankle bracelet, and regular drug testing. ;-)
January 22, 2018, 4:12 PM · Look on Shar's web site, they have a video that shows you how to put on a new string. Also if you call them and tell them what the color of the silks are on your remaining strings they can tell you what brand of string you have. That's the advantage of a customer-service oriented company. You might pay a couple of dollars more, but it's a nice feeling to know you're getting the right thing.
January 22, 2018, 4:15 PM · Great learning opportunity! Take your fiddle to a shop, buy a new string, and ask the professional there to show you how to put it on AND how to make the pegs not slip anymore.
Edited: January 23, 2018, 7:38 AM · Wasn't there some apocryphal story about a violinist in jail who broke all his strings except the g, and that's why he became so good on the g? Paganini?
January 22, 2018, 8:13 PM · Lydia: yes, usually the insurance covers it for school-level rentals and usually they're the el cheapo bows anyway :) OP, if you're paying any type of insurance with your rental it's likely you get free string replacements. Sometimes strings just break. Don't let it worry you, but when you go in they can give you pointers on avoiding it if you need that!
January 23, 2018, 4:50 AM · I agree with Mary Ellen that the shop should take care of the peg slipping problem.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases