Looking for a new case

January 19, 2018, 9:29 PM · Hello all I’m currently looking for a new cases as my current is starting to break. I’m in the market for a case that’s around $100-$250 but will stretch it higher if the case is worthwhile. I’m looking for a case that’s either oblong or rectangular as shaped does not fit my accessories. I would also like it to be relatively durable as the area I’m using it in is pretty crowded. So if you have any recommendations, please leave it in the comments as that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Replies (6)

January 19, 2018, 9:36 PM · The Bobelock plywood suspension cases are a popular recommendation in that price range -- especially the model 1017.
January 20, 2018, 10:33 AM · Thanks for the fast reply Lydia I may go for that one, but what do you think about this one?
https://fiddlershop.com/core-cc450-scratch-resistant-fiberglass-oblong-violin-case.html?sort=p.price&order=ASC
January 20, 2018, 1:07 PM · Composite cases are lighter than wood ones, but significantly less protective.
January 20, 2018, 1:42 PM · Are they good enough to be protective against falling from lets say a stairwell or bumped into a wall?
January 20, 2018, 1:46 PM · Virtually any case will protect a violin from casual bumps, like hitting a wall while you're walking. Falling down the stairs is a totally different matter. That kind of case isn't designed to take that kind of impact. (David Garrett smashed up his violin in a case like that, and has since switched to a more protective wooden one.)
Edited: January 20, 2018, 1:53 PM · Wow okay thanks for the information Lydia I’ll be on the lookout for a wood case then

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases