I wrote a song on violin, now what?

January 18, 2018, 2:15 PM · Good day all:
I wrote a semi-classical piece for violin. It is just a melody in treble clef, but it is very dear to my heart. I would like to add flute, piano and cello as accompaniments and ultimately record the whole thing for my own use.

Do I have to find flute, piano and cello players to write their own part for my music? Or can this be done electronically with software?

I do not know what my next steps are. I just want this song to be complete and CD quality, ready for listening.

Replies (5)

January 18, 2018, 6:04 PM · You can notate the other parts. If you want a CD-quality recording, you'll need players on each part. MIDI playback doesn't sound as good. It never will.
January 18, 2018, 9:11 PM · What about the vocalist for your song? Sorry, just a semantic pet peeve.

It's important that you write the parts - this gives you control of the harmonies used, balance, who plays what when and where, etc.

Basically your objective in wanting to add the flute, piano, and cello is to go from a solo movement (just the violin) to a larger movement. If you don't already have a background in harmony, this will be a great crash course for you :)

February 10, 2018, 4:06 PM · To answer your question, this can be done convincingly with a computer.
February 10, 2018, 4:32 PM · I agree with Timothy Smith. And a good place to start is www.musescore.com. You can notate your piece in Musescore (free software) and play it back with the "voices" in the software, at whatever tempo you desire.
Edited: February 10, 2018, 4:53 PM · Ted, I like the fact you have written a melody.

Even in your violin melody, have you written in the bowing, the articulation, the dynamics, tempos, style indication, etc? All these can change the tune more than you might imagine, and the sooner you have these in place (sure, they can be changed later), the better placed you are to develop the tune into an arrangement.

Harmony? If I write a melody, I write the chords as I go. This can really help in the tune writing process, and it can prevent all sorts of issues coming to light, later in the process of arranging the melody into a performance piece.

If you are doing your first writing gig, and you want to write for piano, flute and cello along with the violin, you have a few challenges to face. Notation software, like MuseScore2 is just a mere detail: but it will not write the arragement for you.

In the past two months I have written over twenty pieces, two to three minute works for school string orchestras and string quartets. Here, have a listen to one:

https://soundcloud.com/user-155461785/pelican-rock.

Good luck, keep at it, and let us know if we can be of further help.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis
International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Jameasy
Jameasy

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin