Choosing a Mozart (No3) cadenza

January 18, 2018, 11:59 AM · Hey there,

I have a competition coming up and I'm going to play Mozart's violin concerto in g major and I have to choose a cadenza. And I don't have access to sheet music so I have to stick to IMDLP

I know Francko(sp?) is sort of the 'standard' but there is also Auers cadenza.

And then there is Aulin and Déjardin which are easier and less known.

So which one do you think is better for a competition?

How difficult is the Auer cadenza?

Would seem like I'm 'cheating' if I play Aulin or Déjardin?

P.S: I don't think that I can write my own cadenza. It's intimidating.

Thank you,
Ahmed

Replies (9)

January 18, 2018, 12:23 PM · Hi, how do you think of Grumiaux/Ysaÿe cadenza for this concerto? I heard one recording of Mozart concerti by Grumiaux finding that the cadenza of No.3 is stunning and fantastic, but I am not sure whether the score is available.
January 18, 2018, 1:53 PM · Any reason not to play the Franko?
January 18, 2018, 6:06 PM · What does your teacher think? Play the most difficult one you can play well.
January 19, 2018, 12:04 AM · Thank you all for your answer.
The Franko seems a bit difficult with all the double stops. I don't think I can pull it off WELL.

Is the Auer easier? Does it sound impressive?

I couldn't find the Ysayë/Grumieux cadenza.

Thanks again for all the your answers

January 19, 2018, 12:36 AM · Adding another option to the list, Rachel Barton Pine has published cadenzas to this and other Mozart concertos: https://www.carlfischer.com/shop/the-rachel-barton-pine-collect.html

Here's a recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VlQ2bhbTIs

January 19, 2018, 8:38 AM · It's not too difficult, if you prepare-work up your technique, using the cadenza as motivation.

(Doubt any Auer's will be "easier" in any way, shape, or form, but maybe I am wrong.)

January 19, 2018, 8:27 PM · Did Joachim write cadenzas for this concerto? Might be interesting to check out. I’m curious if Sarasate, Powell, or Kreisler wrote cadenzas for this concerto.
January 20, 2018, 3:35 AM · If, they did I'm sure there aren't any copyright laws against posting them.

If someone has a cadenza for mozart 3 it would be great if they could send it to me. (ahmed.c@musician.org)

Edited: January 20, 2018, 8:03 PM · You are not likely to find a serious professionally composed cadenza for this piece that has no double stops. As far as that goes, the Franko is probably just as good as anything else and it's not particularly long. What I see is that very often students are assigned Mozart 3 when they are ready to play what Mozart wrote, but their background has often not included a lot of double stops aside from the relatively easy ones that you find in Seitz, Accolay, etc.

And remember one of the things you're meant to learn here is how to play double stops better! So do that. I bet most of the other cadenzas that you will find are actually harder than Franko. Flesch wrote one too and I'm sure that's harder.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases