Accolay Cadenza?

January 16, 2018, 6:50 PM · Hi all,

I finished the Accolay concerto a while ago, but have decided to bring it back for a local performance. Do any of you know of any cadenzas or variations on this A Minor Concerto to make it sound more flashy?

Thanks!

Replies (9)

January 16, 2018, 7:18 PM · There are numerous mentions online of a cadenza for the Accolay by Emil Gorski, but I have been unable to find any sheet music for it.
January 17, 2018, 9:57 AM · It is said from violin lore passed down from the olden times by word of mouth that J B Accolay never existed and that the name is a pseudonym for Henri Vieuxtemps. This information came to me through Josef Gingold.
January 17, 2018, 10:26 AM · If the Accolay is not flashy enough, maybe you could just play DeBeriot.
January 18, 2018, 8:38 AM · Ronit, if you play it with good tone and solid intonation, your audience will be impressed, no need to be flashy with the risk of being sloppy. the worst comment you can get from an audience is "wow, that sounded difficult!"
Edited: January 18, 2018, 8:49 AM · Some info on Accolay by the Study Center for Flemish Music. They seem to take part in the conspiracy by cooking up some plausible-sounding biographical info! ;-)
January 18, 2018, 9:50 AM · I found this cadenza:
https://youtu.be/ft9SiZejd4Y
January 18, 2018, 10:19 AM · just play everything in tune like Itzhak Perlman. Your audience will be impressed if you can do so.
January 18, 2018, 10:25 AM · There's no "nice" way to say this .. that cadenza sounds like it was written by the student.
January 19, 2018, 1:03 PM · Well if the student wrote that cadenza, she did a pretty nice job. There's not a lot of material in the Accolay to work with in the first place; it's basically several etudes stuck together.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases