pinky pain help!

May 26, 2017, 3:08 PM · Hey all, Lately I have been working on double stops and they overall have gone pretty well. The only problem is when I play double stops with my pinky and another finger it gets really sore (up in my knuckle)! I do not want hurt my pinky as I work toward college auditions! I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I can only play double stops for a few minutes before it starts to get sore!. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Replies (7)

May 26, 2017, 4:48 PM · My violin teacher is generally okay with finger pain. I would adjust your hand position so your hand is spread out more along the fingerboard and your fingers are more over the fingerboard.
May 26, 2017, 5:24 PM · " My violin teacher is generally okay with finger pain."
Are you sure it's the right teacher? Playing the violin must not be painfull at any state if you want to do this until you get really old! Every (!) important player from the last 100 years that hold master classes did everything possible to release pain from the students.

Where does the pain start? There are so many possible reasons. I know many players start to push the strings very hard when vibrating double stops, thats not neccesary. If you get pain from getting the intervals big enough try to look at shoulder and hand positions. If you play the notes not at once but changing all the time, do you get problems too?

Edited: May 26, 2017, 7:11 PM · Fatigue is one thing, "really sore" is an alarm that something is clearly wrong and you need to stop doing it. I would avoide practising double stops for a few days and gently ease into it by playing slowly and lightly to see if you feel fine.
May 27, 2017, 8:51 AM · Just to clear it up, my teacher is completely against arm pain or shoulder pain etc, but she says minor finger pain is mostly a sign of being stretched out, I think. You should stop if you're in any pain, however, and come back in a few minutes.
May 29, 2017, 8:31 PM · "Really sore" means something is wrong. I agree with Yixi to take a break from it. My feeling about vibrato is different from Marc's. I wonder if trying to apply a little slow vibrato to your double stops will help you gain a sense for how hard you're already bearing down on your fingers because you can't vibrate when you're clamping. Maybe try this with slow scales in sixths first and then thirds.
May 29, 2017, 10:18 PM · Also, vibrating two notes requires less weight in, more weight into the actual vibrating pulse, since the hand is tilted toward it's centre of mass by being held by two adjacent fingers. :)
May 30, 2017, 12:22 AM · What I ment to say (sorry for my sometimes unclear statements) is not that she does not need vibrato but that she does not need to push the single fingers forcefully. I do see this quite often.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Pirastro Strings

MyOngaku Practice App

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Anne Akiko Meyers' Fantasia

Corilon Violins

Anderson Musical Instrument Insurance