Deberiot or Kabalevsky?

January 12, 2018, 11:08 AM · Just curious.... which concerto do you prefer? Deberiot 9 or Kabalevsky in C? I like both and I was just wondering on others' opinions.

Replies (6)

Edited: January 12, 2018, 6:47 PM · I'm pretty sure that De Beriot 9 is a bit more difficult than Kabalevsky, although I'm not sure, I've never learned the De Beriot. I would pick the Kabalevsky. Many concerti that one learns are romantic (Bruch, Mendelssohn, Vieuxtemps, Tchaik, Brahms etc.), but there aren't as many 20th century concerti to learn besides Shostakovich, Khachaturian, Barber, Prokofiev and stuff by 2nd Viennese School composers. Those 20th century concerti are also pretty difficult for the most part, so it would take a while to work your way up to them. Kabalevsky is a 20th century piece that is not too difficult and very accessible.
January 13, 2018, 6:45 AM · Not particularly partial to either but I'd say, personally, Kabalevsky is slightly harder. It has some passages that are difficult to get around with the left hand.
January 13, 2018, 1:20 PM · I love neither but view both as a necessary evil. I did enjoy learning the first movement of the Kabalevsky back in the day and auditioned well with it. But I guess musically I preferred the Beethoven Romances and Bach and Mozart concerti that I was working on. And De Beriot was...annoying, though pedagogically useful.
January 13, 2018, 2:57 PM · I enjoy teaching them both; they are pretty close to the same level but teach different techniques. Usually I teach DeBeriot first because the first movement (the only part of that piece I teach) is significantly shorter than the first movement of Kabalevsky.
January 13, 2018, 6:24 PM · The DeBeriot No. 9 is basically a series of "virtuosic" technical tricks in rapid succession. This likely explains why it is taught so frequently.
January 15, 2018, 9:57 PM · You could argue Kabalevsky is the same thing, although more musically developed.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Corilon Violins

American Viola Society Festival and Primrose International Viola Competition