My violin

January 9, 2018, 4:54 PM · I have a violin which was given to me several years ago. I play it in a small 12 person ensemble. It has been appraised by 4 official appraisers independently for approximately $4000. They all said it was made between 1830 and 1850. Some thought it resembled an Amati which my violin teacher had when I took lessons in the late 1940's. The person who gave it to me was our church minister who never played it. It belonged to his father but he has no idea when or where he got it but it would have to be in the late 1800s or early 1900s. Here's my question; inside it says" H.M. Cusack violin maker and repairer Toronto". I am wondering if anyone has heard of '' this person. Heinl's in Toronto, a well recognized luthier have only heard of his name. Incidentally, my teacher was the concertmaster in the Toronto Symphony in the 30s! He was Harry Pearse and wrote the music and words for " Men of the North" in memory of a battalion in Sault Ste Marie Ontario and Sudbury Ontario. P.S. I am definitely not going to sell it.
Terry Carscadden

Replies (2)

January 10, 2018, 5:31 PM · There are books listing violin makers but I don't have access to them. I think they are still more thorough than online information, which I find strange but seems to be true based on similar inquiries posted here in the past.
January 10, 2018, 11:27 PM · Googling shows violins dated 1904 and a 1916 by HM Cusack, the latter at a Brompton's auction.

That suggests that if you have an 1800s fiddle, the label is from a repair rather than who it is made by.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases