Paganini Showpieces?

January 8, 2018, 2:05 PM · Hello everyone,

I was wondering the other day about Paganini and his music. Usually, I think of the 24 caprices or concertos he has composed, but I've heard there are some much shorter showpieces out there for the violin and was wondering if you knew any of them.

Replies (6)

January 8, 2018, 2:31 PM · You can look up his works on IMSLP and see for yourself.
Edited: January 8, 2018, 5:10 PM · Not everything Paganini composed is a showpiece. His "Cantabile" is a romantic piece accessible at a reasonably intermediate level.

At the other extreme, in 1978, the local Community Concert series in the isolated town where I lived had booked Eugene Sarbu for a violin recital. The week before his appearance in our concert, he won the Paganini Competition. What a thrilling performance he gave us - you can imagine! I cannot remember the showpiece that had won him the competition, but he played it flawlessly and with great élan for us and it truly sounded like a trio of 3 violins. I thikg he finished off with the Paganini Moses Variations (or Fantasy) which is all done on the G string - incredible! Sarbu, a Romanian violinist, is hard to find but there is a Youtube of him playing the Paganini "Cantabile."

January 8, 2018, 7:58 PM · One that comes to mind is "Witches Dance," from which the famous Suzuki book 2 piece was extracted.
January 8, 2018, 10:46 PM · You might be able to do some variations from The Carnival of Venice
January 9, 2018, 7:11 AM · The Paganini "Cantabile" is maybe a notch harder than "Meditation from Thais" because of the two cadenza-like runs. The rest of it is easier technically than Meditation. Meditation, in my opinion, is a more artfully composed piece with a more interesting melody.
Edited: January 9, 2018, 12:23 PM · Here is a few Paganini pieces that I can think of off the top of my head: Moses Fantasy, Variations on a theme by Joseph Weigl, Variations on God Save the King, Variations on Nel cor piu non mi sento, Variations on Barucaba, Variations on Non piu mesta, Variations on Carnival of Venice...

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Corilon Violins

American Viola Society Festival and Primrose International Viola Competition