Violin stamped "PAGANINI"

January 7, 2018, 6:05 PM · I've got an "attic violin" in a state of appalling disrepair. My luthier estimated $3000 just to get it into a state where he could make a better estimate!! There is no label. On the other side (on the inside of the back, inside the E-string-side F-hole) the name "F.F. Ravor" is marked. It looks as though it were scratched in using a tool through the F-hole and then gone over with pencil to make it black. Underneath the button, on the back, is stamped "PAGANINI" in an arc, and this is inked black, under the varnish. Any thoughts on what sort of violin this might be? I rather suspect it is not worth restoring.

Replies (6)

January 8, 2018, 4:35 PM · Nobody has ever seen this?
January 8, 2018, 5:00 PM · It's there. I guess people aren't interested. At least I see it, but I can't give any insight. Sorry.
January 8, 2018, 6:36 PM · You should ask on Maestronet.com, upload some images.
January 8, 2018, 9:22 PM · Google "Violin stamped PAGANINI," and you will find this topic has been discussed quite a bit.

I think that you will discover that your suspicions are correct.

January 9, 2018, 9:08 AM · cheap Saxon production violin, sounds like its not worth fixing.
January 9, 2018, 4:56 PM · Thanks Lyndon I was hoping you'd respond because you seem to know a lot about antique violins -- especially violins "of a certain age" like this one likely is. This one is a complete disaster, I'm just going to dump it.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Aria International Summer Academy