Beginner pieces

May 26, 2017, 8:25 AM · Hi There

I thought i would share some ideas for good beginner peices and at the same time ask you to suggest some more for me.

Some of the pieces i like to attemp to play at home includes:

'Sicilienne' by Maria-Theresia v. Paradis

'valse triste' by Franz von Vecsey

'valse sentimentale' - Tchaikovsky

'Liebesleid' - Kreisler

and more...

I find these pieces, atleast most parts of them, quite suitable for beginners and can recommend them wholeheartedly.

I would like to get some inspiration for other short beginner pieces for my little repertoire that are in the same area of difficulty and playability.

Thank you

Replies (18)

May 26, 2017, 11:58 AM · Need some more information on how you play first
Intonation?
Shifting?
Vibrato?
Expression?
May 26, 2017, 1:31 PM · Playing in allmost all positions, shifting around.

Intonation is quite good and vibrato is ok

Expression am i working on with my teacher atm to give the pieces the dynamism they deserve.

Thank you

May 26, 2017, 1:40 PM · The pieces you put out are intermediate pieces.
May 26, 2017, 2:23 PM · Liebesleid should not be attempted by beginners.
May 26, 2017, 2:27 PM · All the others, with the except of Sicilienne maybe, are intermediate. Slower songs, like the two valses, are actually harder to play than faster songs.
Edited: May 26, 2017, 2:34 PM · "Liebesleid should not be attempted by beginners."
Valse triste even less in my opinion.
May 26, 2017, 2:46 PM · Sicilienne is an intermediate piece too.
May 26, 2017, 5:54 PM · If he plays in almost all positions and does vibrato with good intonation, he is definitely not a beginner.
May 26, 2017, 6:28 PM · How many months have you been playing now, SP?
May 27, 2017, 11:43 PM · Thank you for the replys, i guess i will just try listen to more different pieces to get some inspiration, i guess that is the way to go. Thats also how i got to know Sicilienne and Liebesleid, randomly listening to Kreisler playing some small pieces.

I have been playing only for around 6 months, but have made lot of progress and is playing around 2 hours or more every day and my teacher encourages me to play many different pieces while working on the difficult bowing technique. She even suggested i tried some solo Bach because i like it. So i have been practicing the 'allemanda' of partita 2 but decided to give it a rest due to some difficulties and continue on other smaller pieces and etudes and scales next to the bowing excersise.

May 28, 2017, 12:40 AM · ANDANTINO in the style of Martini by Fritz Kreisler is an easy piece.

Also SPRING SONG by Frank Bridge is good too.

They can be easily downloaded.

May 28, 2017, 12:59 AM · There are some nice easy pieces by Pleyel, also duos where the first violin is nice to practise alone.
May 29, 2017, 7:53 AM · Six months and you are playing solo Bach? That's amazing.
Edited: May 29, 2017, 9:37 AM · After I had quit lessons shortly before my 12th birthday and then resumed playing before my 13th (and moved away from New York City in the meantime) I found two books of violin pieces that set me on my violin path once more, a step above where I had quit. This was back in the late 1940s, but used copies of the books can still be found, and perhaps more importantly the tables of contents can be found at Amazon.com (under "books") in case you want to search IMSLP.

The books were (and still are, ragged as they are):

1. Everybody's Favorite Album of Violin Pieces (edited by Chas E. Wilkinson) containing pieces ranging from Handel's Largo to Sarasate's Zigeunerweisen.

2.Thirty-seven Violin Pieces You Like to Play with pieces ranging from Brahms' Cradle-Song to Vieuxtemps' Reverie.

There is a bit of replication of the music in the two books, but not too much.

ONE WORD OF WARNING, SINCE THESE BOOKS ARE PROBABLY OUT OF PRINT THE OFFERINGS AT AMAZON.COM MIGHT JUST BE FOR THE PIANO ACCOMPANIMENT PART - SO INQUIRE OF THOSE OFFERING TO SELL.

A rather different, more eclectic collction available for free download at IMSLP is:
http://hz.imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/4/4c/IMSLP266064-PMLP431083-Cremona_Violin.pdf

Add Massenet's Meditation, Gluck's Melodie and you will have beaucoup music for making progress as well as multiple delightful recitals and be ready to get started and concertos, or chamber music or orchestral playing. These books can do wonders to help develop one's sight reading. You can find recordings of these pieces on YOUTUBE of such great violinists of the first half of the 20th century as Kreisler, Elman, Heifetz, etc. for interpretive ideas.

May 29, 2017, 11:26 AM · Speaking of Gluck's Melodie (Kreisler adaptation), could anyone guess which grade (ABRSM, RCM, or ASTA) that would fall under?
Edited: May 30, 2017, 5:50 AM · Thank you Andrew, that looks like a collection of small pieces which will be joyfull to study! These kind of small pieces i find very handy in persuit of developing my playing and testing what has allready been learned. Cant wait to go print some of them.

The Bach Loure (from violoncello sonata) is great!!! But i can't find any recording of it on violin. Do you have a link for it?

May 30, 2017, 6:11 AM · SP -that is actually a transposition (to G major) of the Bouree I of Bach's third cello suite (which is in C major). So if you look for his third cello suite on Youtube you can hear how it goes. Hopefully the different instrument and different key will not cause you confusion.
June 1, 2017, 11:42 AM · Thank you, got it! With you information i found out that its actually the final melody in the Suzuki book 3, so of course there was plenty of examples on youtube how to play it.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Meadowmount School of Music