Millant bows

January 7, 2018, 10:19 AM · The Millant family was well known for their bow expertise, but I haven't seen much about how they perform in relation to other famed makers. Anyone got any insight on how they compare?

Replies (5)

January 7, 2018, 10:59 AM · Opinions on such topics can be quite controversial. If you're looking for a new bow, I'd try a bunch and pick your favourite.
January 7, 2018, 1:36 PM · The OP isn't asking about buying a bow. He's asking about characteristics of the makers.

I'd suggest also trying Maestronet's Pegbox forum, where the makers/dealers hang out.

January 7, 2018, 2:56 PM · I think the OP may just be asking curiosity questions about those bows, too, but then again, everyone interprets text differently.
January 7, 2018, 3:40 PM · I'm asking out of curiosity. Seems like they're the go to guys for bow knowledge in the 20th century, but does their own workmanship match their expertise?
January 8, 2018, 9:41 PM · The Millant family has some of the greatest bowmakers of the 20th century. Bernard was a great maker but because of his attention to expertise in the later part of his life, his output was small. Jean Jacques Millant was a primarily an archetier as you can read up on also made a wide output of very nice bows in the Peccatte model that are sought after by players.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Aria International Summer Academy