The price of success

Edited: January 7, 2018, 9:34 AM ·

Hi all,

I found this interesting article about the ruined relationship between Vanessa Mae and her mother.
Horrible.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1042593/The-heart-breaking-moment-I-realised-mother-cut-forever-violin-virtuoso-Vanessa-Mae.html

If anyone has any other stories concerning the price of fame, please feel free to post them in here.

Thanks,
Robbie

Replies (4)

Edited: January 7, 2018, 10:34 AM · This is not a story about the price of success or fame. This is a story about a dreadfully dysfunctional mother-daughter relationship in which the daughter happens to be famous.
Edited: January 7, 2018, 10:58 AM · Do people make sacrifices to become international star violinists? Or gymnasts? Or chess players? Yes they do. Is that lifestyle so far out of the mainstream that we would consider it abnormal or even unhealthy? Well, it can be. But, people make individual choices, and if nobody chose those paths when we would not have star violinists or gymnast or chess masters.

Would Vanessa-Mae have been a rich, glittering star of the violin without her mother's influence?? Probably not. Did her mother have to push that hard? We'll never know. Did Vanessa-Mae want to be the star her mother was pushing her to become? I don't know, although maybe that's revealed in the various media accounts of her rise to stardom. One thing I'm sure of: Nobody knows what's really going on in the relationship between Vanessa-Mae and her mother. There will always be more there than you can read in a tabloid.

January 7, 2018, 11:48 AM · The story is weird, and putting it in a newspaper is even weirder.
January 7, 2018, 1:41 PM · This article sounds a little like the Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother, only worse. Amy Chua, the author of "Tiger Mother," seemed to have enough self-awareness to pull back, at least a little, and at the end of the book she and her daughter were connected and still friends. Her daughter didn't become a violin star.

The movie Coco, which I reviewed in the blog section, is also about the price of success. IMO one of the triumphs of that movie is that in the end it paints a healthy portrait of success, one that doesn't require such a price.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases