Do you know any easy, intermediate violin pieces with great piano accompaniment?

Edited: January 7, 2018, 9:02 AM · So I'm performing at a festival in April, and I had three pieces picked out, the first two movements of Vivaldi's Winter, the Czardas by Monti, and Bach's Cello Suite Prelude. Winter definitely needs some form of accompaniment, and Czardas sounds better with it, so I was thinking of asking one of my friends, a pianist, if he would mind accompanying me...if he already knows them, of course.
But, the Cello Suite is for unaccompanied cello (in this case violin).
So I was reconsidering that one.
Do you know any easier (I need to learn it quickly, and he probably might, too) intermediate pieces for both the violin and the piano?
I kind of hate how the accompaniment parts seem somewhat unimportant sometimes. To me, it's a duet, and both parts are equally integral. So any that would really include both would be great (like Danse Macabre, how the two are almost dancing with each other in the piece).
Thanks in advance.

Replies (16)

January 3, 2018, 8:18 PM · Sonatas are more likely to have equal-partner parts. But for violin pieces, the piano is accompaniment, even if the pianist is an important collaborator.
Edited: January 3, 2018, 8:26 PM · Sonatas & duets are really the only pieces with equal roles.

There's Paganini's Cantabile, which was written for violin & guitar but has been transcribed for violin &piano. It's pretty simple and easy to learn. Piano part is mostly chords though.

January 3, 2018, 8:48 PM · Lydia, except for Brahms. The piano is equal in those;)
January 3, 2018, 10:24 PM · The Schubert Sonatinas are quite playable for both parts, and you could do one or more movements as time permits (the movements are short). I like the first one in D major.
January 3, 2018, 10:49 PM · I had a similar issue (in a lower level) with a piano player friend that I felt was shadowed in the piano/vioin duets. Another problem was that I am a classical music lover and she likes pop, jazz and modern music and she yawns as soon as hears "Baroque". We had many, many meetings (and beers) and finally we decided on a violin/piano arrangement of Gershwin- It ain't necessarily so. Both instruments dance together beautifully and if it was good enough for Heifetz...

In a more classical level, I think Playera by Sarasate is balanced and beautiful. Out of my reach for the moment, but maybe you can.

January 4, 2018, 5:51 AM · Have you considered the Bach accompanied Sonatas?,_BWV_1014-1019
January 4, 2018, 6:45 AM · The Bach accompanied sonatas are lovely but they are not all that easy, certainly not in the keyboard part.
Edited: January 4, 2018, 7:13 AM · I am an amateur violinist who also plays the piano about equally well. I have done a lot of accompanying for children in my teacher's studio. Unless your pianist has performed your piece before, they're not going to have it in repertoire. Piano teachers do not commonly assign piano accompaniments or piano parts for violin sonatas.

I do not suggest trying to improvise or compose an accompaniment for the Bach Prelude. Just ... don't.

As a concerto, the Vivaldi will be an orchestral reduction for the pianist. As such, it is not written by Vivaldi. Some pianists will feel this is not what they were born to play. But on the plus side, you can feel free to shop for the edition/reduction that has the accompaniment that works the best for you and your pianist. If your pianist likes to add his/her own personal touch to accompaniments, reductions are the places to do that. Likewise if they have small hands or other limitations, octaves can be removed, etc.

Mary Ellen's suggestion of the Schubert is great. Mozart sonatas are harder, but the first movement of the sonata in E minor (K304, I believe) is not too hard. Still, it's harder than the Schubert.

Not sure where you are technically, but the Meditation from Thais has a very lovely piano part. I accompany this piece a lot, and I really enjoy playing the piano part. And as for Czardas, that has kind of a boring-sounding accompaniment, but as a pianist I can tell you it's still a lot of fun to play, and you get a little solo right at the beginning. So don't count that one out.

January 4, 2018, 11:38 AM · Perhaps Dvorak Sonatina.
January 4, 2018, 11:24 PM ·
January 5, 2018, 10:06 PM · Along the lines of Bruce's suggestion, how about Dvorák's "Four Romantic Pieces, Op. 75?"
January 7, 2018, 9:01 AM · Thanks for all the suggestions! I'll listen to them on YouTube, then try to play them on both the violin and piano, and I'll take the list to the pianist and see if he already knows any.
Paul Deck, I figured he probably would know Winter. He loves Vivaldi, and plays at least three of the Seasons on the guitar. I'm just not sure about piano. I wanted to wait until my teacher verified that the festival coordinators would allow actual accompaniment (they have really odd rules), before asking him.
Also, when I was first learning the Czardas, I tried it out on the piano (I've been a pianist longer than I have a violinist), and it was quite fun! I absolutely love that piece on pretty much any instrument!
John C, I thought of Dvorák's Romances, but then I figured I probably shouldn't do it. I love the pieces,'s a long story, but to make it short, I don't want to encourage the pianist's parents any more than they have been. And a piece called "Romance" that we'd be playing together would probably be overstepping the boundaries. Thanks, though:)
Carlos D'Agulleiro, that is certainly a common problem! Some people really just don't like classical. They feel it's "boring," although it is the least boring genre. I'm in the same situation, just with my "violin" teacher. She's "fiddle," and won't deviate to classical. I'm going to stay with her as a student until after the festival, then I'll see if I can find a classical violinist--there are none in the area for teenagers (one is strictly for children under ten), and intermediate students (the other is strictly for beginners). It's frustrating:). Otherwise I would have asked her to accompany me. Glad you were able to find something that works for both of you.
January 7, 2018, 11:56 AM · Is there a piece you know, that you use to show that classical isn't as boring, outdated, and strict, as people tend to think?
I think the Czardas is a wonderful example of how classical music isn't what some people think it is.
January 7, 2018, 6:55 PM · Hello Jeanette
These are short pieces that are well known and well liked over the years. I have a book with piano and violin separately in a package. There are about 50. They are out of print but you can still order them at a music store.
Minuet on G. Beethoven
Air For the G string Bach
Meditation. Thais
Traumerei. Schumann
Legends. Wieniawski
Salute D’Amour. (Liebesgruss. Marceau Mignon
I’d like to here from you
Terry Carscadden
January 7, 2018, 7:14 PM · Sorry if this is too late but I recall a few years back I had a blast playing Violin Concertino in Hungarian Style, Op.21 by Oskar Rieding. It is a little on the easier side of intermediate level and I’m not sure if you will like the style but it is definitely fun and easier to play with a few piano solo parts.
January 10, 2018, 11:37 AM · Hi Terry and Raelynn.
I will definitely check on those ones you both have mentioned. I think I'm going with Schubert's Serenade, but the more options, the merrier. I don't know what the pianist will already know and be comfortable with, but thankfully I can go ahead and ask him teacher just responded to me and said they do allow accompaniment at the festival.

This discussion has been archived and is no longer accepting responses.

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email is made possible by...

Shar Music
Shar Music

Pirastro Strings
Pirastro Strings

Metzler Violin Shop
Metzler Violin Shop

Yamaha YEV Series Violin
Yamaha YEV Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia
Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Corilon Violins

American Viola Society Festival and Primrose International Viola Competition