Robert Mann of the Juilliard St Qt has died

Edited: January 3, 2018, 7:10 PM · The founding first violinist of the Juilliard String Quartet (est 1946) died on New Year's Day, 97 years old.

I love their late fifties and sixties recordings. The Beethoven, Mozart and Bartok.

Reading the NY Times obit I was intrigued to see Mann was a bit of a late starter. This is not to reignite the 'when is late really late?" discussion, but Mann got his first violin at age nine, and was in a class with seven girls, and the violin teacher was no Carl Flesch.

After two years Mann seems to have spent two years without a teacher and only at thirteen did he get violin lessons from a serious violinist, the then CM of the Portland OR Symphony, who told him if he worked diligently 'he could make a living in music.'

Strange how things worked out for Mann, who played in the Juilliard Qt for fifty years. It almost sounds as if he was largely self-taught, with those two years between eleven and thirteen without a teacher.

Replies (3)

January 3, 2018, 10:01 AM · Somehow this post wound up in the 'Instruments" bag, so I feel obliged to say that Mann used to play (1975 - 1986) on the Rose / Viotti Strad, but then handed it down to his son, Nicholas.
January 3, 2018, 5:54 PM · Wow. He was an amazing man. R.I.P.
January 3, 2018, 7:10 PM · I have posted an obituary: Remembering Juilliard String Quartet Violinist Robert Mann (1920-2018).

Facebook Twitter YouTube Instagram Email

Violinist.com is made possible by...

Shar Music

Shanghai Isaac Stern International Violin Competition

Pirastro Strings

International Violin Competition of Indianapolis

Yamaha V3 Series Violin

Dimitri Musafia, Master Maker of Violin and Viola Cases

Metzler Violin Shop

Gliga Violins

Corilon Violins

Aria International Summer Academy