Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Astor Piazzolla's Scent of a woman for violin and piano

Repertoire: Where on earth can i find this music?

From Talia Glenn
Posted August 27, 2006 at 08:47 PM

I have been searching and searching and I just cant seem to find the sheet music for Astor Piazzolla's Scent of a woman for violin and piano. Does anyone know where i might find it???

From Luis Pernalete
Posted on August 27, 2006 at 10:28 PM
Hi Talia. Think you in the tango that Al Pacino dance in homonime movie? If is yes this tango is "Por una Cabeza" and is not Piazzolla´s tango, is a Lepera´s tango that was world aclaimed in the Carlos Gardel´s voice, i never heard a Piazzola´s tango with this name.
From Kenny Choy
Posted on August 27, 2006 at 10:36 PM
However, Piazzolla did make a instumental arrangement of the song sung by Gardel. The movie version is an arrangement by John Williams.

You can check out this link.

http://www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=6632

From Talia Glenn
Posted on August 27, 2006 at 11:51 PM
Thank you. I really appreciate it!
From Peter Wilson
Posted on August 28, 2006 at 03:24 AM
Actually,

The tango "Por Una Cabeza" by Carlos Gardel that is featured in the movie "Scent of a Woman" is performed by a group called the Tango Project, which consists of 2 violins, accordian, and bass. What many do NOT know is that this Tango Project recording was also featured in at least two other films: "True Lies" and "Schindler's List." --yes, "Schindler's List."

John Williams did NOT arrange "Por Una Cabeza" for either "Scent of a Woman" or "Schindler's List" (ironically), but DID arrange it for violin and orchestra to be played by Itzhak Perlman on his Cinema Serenade albums.

What I find fascinating is that while John Williams won the Academy Award for his music from "Schindler's List," one of the most compelling and most powerful scenes (even according to Speilberg, but I agree!) is the one near the beginning of the film when Schindler is introduced in a bar--yet, this introduction is accompanied by "Por Una Cabeza"--not the music of John Williams!

I transcribed the Tango Project's recording for string quartet--yielded a nice one, too--2 violins stayed the same, accordian went to the viola, and the bass became the cello part.

Enjoy,
Peter

From Luis Pernalete
Posted on August 28, 2006 at 03:37 AM
I Can´t remember but is the same version that Arnold dance with Tia Carrere and Jamie Lee Curtis in True Lies? Where is available strings quartet version? Sounds nice.
From Peter Wilson
Posted on August 28, 2006 at 04:04 AM
Luis,

Yes, it is exactly the same recording (by the Tango Project) used in all 3 films (Scent of a Woman, Schindler's List, and True Lies).

There are string quartet arrangments out there of "Por Una Cabeza"; however, I actually transcribed the Tango Project recording note for note, so all the cool high first violin playing is in there. I get a lot of mileage out of the arrangment at the White House, but I'm quite sure I would not be allowed to sell it since it is a transcription of a known group . . .

Likewise, I've transcribed things like the Kronos Quartet's "Purple Haze", etc.--arrangments I'm sure we are not supposed to have (?)

Best,
Peter

Hear more from the world's top violinists

Joshua Bell Our interview with Joshua Bell is one of more than two dozen in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which also features talks with Sarah Chang, Maxim Vengerov, and David Garrett, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

Chiara String Quartet

Contest: Chiara String Quartet

Enter to win "Brahms by Heart," featuring the Chiara String Quartet playing all from memory.