Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Fernando the Bull (El toro Fernando)

Repertoire: Does anyone know where to get a copy of the sheet music for "El toro Fernando" for solo violin and narrator, by Alain Ridout ?

From Alistair Low
Posted December 19, 2006 at 12:20 AM

Does anyone know where to get a copy of the sheet music for "El toro Fernando" for solo violin and narrator, by Alain Ridout ?

From Clinton F. Nieweg
Posted on December 29, 2006 at 05:16 PM
The Ridout has “Copyright 1974 by Chappell & Co. Ltd. 50 New Bond Street, London, W.1 on the front page and “Printed by Symphony Reproductions Ltd., 1 Langley Lane, London, S.W. 8 on the back page. The violinists here who have played it agree that it is difficult and does not always lie well for the violin. The narration is great fun!

A U.S.dealer lists the Chappell publication as POP but does have a listing from DMD Classic #
HAL18011248.

From Kenny Choy
Posted on December 29, 2006 at 05:44 PM
Ridout - Ferdinand the Bull, is on a print-on-demand basis (Music Valut Archive) which here in the UK, is done by Faber Music. It is still available through most of the music retailers.
From Cheng Hooi Lee
Posted on January 1, 2007 at 08:34 AM
I just acquired the Kremer Philips CD of Ferdinand the Bull. It's really great fun.
From Alistair Low
Posted on January 4, 2007 at 05:29 PM
Thank you. It does seem to be available from Faber Music - once I got the title right.

Now all that remains is to learn to play it.

From Bijan Sepanji
Posted on January 4, 2007 at 09:28 PM
I saw Maxim Vengerov perform this piece in Montreal last winter as an encore (after playing Mozart No. 4). I must say that he had truly captivated the audience especially since he's a true crowd-pleaser! I felt that it was just as important to be a good narrator with a lot of character as it was to perform well. Indeed, Vengerov was both!

Hear more from the world's top violinists

Joshua Bell Our interview with Joshua Bell is one of more than two dozen in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which also features talks with Sarah Chang, Maxim Vengerov, and David Garrett, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

Chiara String Quartet

Contest: Chiara String Quartet

Enter to win "Brahms by Heart," featuring the Chiara String Quartet playing all from memory.