Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Books

Violinist.com Interviews: Vol. 1

Our exclusive, one-on-one interviews with 27 of today's best-known violinists, including Hilary Hahn, Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, David Garrett, Anne Akiko Meyers, Maxim Vengerov, and others.

Sheet Music for Waxman Carmen Fantasy

Repertoire: Does anyone know where/how to locate the sheet music?

From Ian Snyder
Posted October 3, 2006 at 05:41 PM

Hi-
I am wondering if anyone can tell me where to find the Waxman Carmen Fantasy. I am of the understanding that it is somewhat expensive, but I can't even find it to begin with...

Thanks!

From Gennady Filimonov
Posted on October 3, 2006 at 11:23 PM
look in the archives here.
It has been documented.
I think you have to rent it from the Waxman estate.
From K G
Posted on October 4, 2006 at 07:15 PM
Ian:

I recently got the violin part only off a legal and free web page (which I forget at the moment). If that's all you want, let me know.

Kevin

From Kenny Choy
Posted on October 4, 2006 at 07:26 PM
legal and free? Waxman?????
From Nathan Cole
Posted on October 4, 2006 at 09:27 PM
I got it the boring and expensive way, by calling the son and business-handler! I think it was $75, and it came with a nice piano score and part, edited by Heifetz.
From Brian R
Posted on October 5, 2006 at 04:26 AM
I got it in a collection that I think was about $30. It's in some asian language, but the translation says "International Audition Album." It also came with the piano parts.

On top of the Waxman it also has the Hubay Carmen fantasy, Wieniawski and Sarasate Faust Fantasies, Navarra, Jota Navarra, Ernst's Hungarian Melodies, Bloch's Nigun, and some other pieces. I think I might have gotten it at Johnson String Instruments but I'm not sure. Give them a call.

From Kevin Huang
Posted on October 5, 2006 at 05:00 AM
http://www.ascap.com/ace/search.cfm?requesttimeout=300

I'm no legal expert, but I checked ASCAP since Franz Waxman is an American composer who composed this arrangement after 1920. That's de rigeur for studio musicians who are looking to perform and record other people's arrangements. We check both ASCAP and BMI, with SESAC coming in a distant third.

Because this is a modern day arrangement, any recording or republishing of this work would require royalties to be paid to ASCAP which then pays the Waxman estate. So despite the "classical" nature of this Carmen Fantasie, copyright law dictates that this work is actually a modern composer's work that is protected by ASCAP law. I'd imagine that if non US CD labels were to market their Waxman Carmen Fantasy recordings in the US, they'd have to pass US copyright law requirements (the Russian recordings of Leonid Kogan come to mind).

It's my opinion that in a way, ASCAP and BMI and SESAC encourage musicians to either go big-time retro (classical) or big-time original. This is because royalty fees can be very expensive to deal with. Thus it's cheaper and less hassle to programe either ancient classical works for which copyrights do not apply or compose original works since getting those works copyrighted is relatively cheap and easy to do.

From Clinton F. Nieweg
Posted on October 5, 2006 at 05:55 PM
See the archived information for buying a legal copy of the Violin and piano edition:

www.violinist.com/discussion/response.cfm?ID=8345

As other have posted, the work is covered by copyright worldwide so any one else selling or making available a copy in any form can be sued by the Waxman estate.

From Clinton F. Nieweg
Posted on October 5, 2006 at 09:11 PM
Subject: Re: Waxman: Carmen Fantasy

These violinists should contact me and let me know their circumstances.

Kindest regards,

John

John W. Waxman
Themes & Variations
Fidelio Music Publishing Company
Telephone: 203-259 0401
Fax: 203-259 0405
E-mail: jwwaxman@aol.com

From Laurie Niles
Posted on August 6, 2010 at 01:09 AM

John Waxman sent me updated information about how to get this music, and here's what he said:

Contact information is:

Fidelio Music Publishing Company

1255 Fairfield Beach Road

Fairfield, CT 06824-6516 USA

203-259-0401

"Violin/Piano edition is for sale only by mail; PDFs are not available. $150.00 within the United States and $175.00 outside the US. The price includes postage and handling.

The orchestral edition is only available for rental and the appropriate orchestras should email their orders to the address above."

From leo knoll
Posted on August 21, 2010 at 08:32 AM

Laurie,

I already have this piece but just out of curiosity, did Mr. Waxman indicate in his update to you why he feels the need to charge so much money for this piece of music?

Many members of Violinist.Com have asked this question time and again and would like to know the reason; WHY?

Perhaps he can write a response on this forum and explain once and for all.   We'll see! 

LK

From Vernon Kirby
Posted on August 22, 2010 at 08:48 PM

When I decide to play this I'll just make my own version! That's how you do it!

From M.E. Meinzer
Posted on August 24, 2010 at 08:31 PM

I found a pdf of the violin part only on a bitTorrent site.  I'm more than willing to share if anyone is interested.

From Clinton F. Nieweg
Posted on August 29, 2010 at 03:24 PM

<I found a pdf of the violin part only on a bitTorrent site.  I'm more than willing to share if anyone is interested.>

Even if the cost of buying the part is outrageous, the work is still under copyright and the torrent posting or sharing that is illegal.

From Trevor Jennings
Posted on August 29, 2010 at 03:56 PM

Because it's still in copyright is why you won't be finding it on the Petrucci / IMSLP website any time in the foreseeable future.  Petrucci is my usual first port of call when looking for PDF downloads. And, as at least one other contributor has pointed out, don't be tempted by the bit torrent business.

Possible solution (1) - borrow the score from a public lending library.

Possible solution (2)  - learn it by ear, without any reference to a score.  Probably a longer job than learning from a score, especially if you're not used to learning by ear, but will have the advantage that it should embed in the long run more thoroughly than by other methods.

From Roland Roberts
Posted on August 29, 2010 at 04:30 PM

Just use google!!! and search Waxman Carman Fantasy

It's there for all to download free. Violin and piano parts.

Eyes wide shut.....:)

From Omar Ibrahim
Posted on August 30, 2010 at 11:21 AM

4shared.com has every thing almost.....you can make an account and search for waxman's fantasy........

i have sarasate's carmen fantasy on my pc...if you want it give me your e-mail and i can send it to you..

regards

From Brian Larson
Posted on May 18, 2013 at 03:49 PM
$150 or 175 for a single piece of music is simply too much for the average musician, and a shame that his offspring deem it necessary to ask this. BESIDES this - the piece is based on themes BY BIZET and could be considered an "arrangement" of sorts - thus not eligible for copyright. Food for thought?
From Brian Kelly
Posted on May 18, 2013 at 05:02 PM
I must admit that I am bit surprised at the number of people who don't think twice about illegally downloading this (or any other) music score when it is still clearly under copyright.