Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Roth Violin

Instruments: My question is should I accept his offer of $5000 or should I hang on to the Violin for that price?

From JOSHUA RIVERA
Posted September 23, 2006 at 03:14 AM

Hi my brother-in-law wants to purchase my Roth Violin. It was manufactured in 1928 and has a number which I would prefer not to post engraved on the inside. The serial number engraved under the word MARKNEUKIRCHEN starts with a C and is followed by 3 numbers. I have never had the Violin appraised seeing as I never planned to sell it however I do have several other Violins and not as much time to play them. For a Roth is has an amazingly bright sound which I believe is in part due to the fact that I used to play it for several hours a day. My question is should I accept his offer of $5000 or should I hang on to the Violin for that price? I know there are several people out there that know much more than me on Roths and since you are all neutrals your opinion is greatly appreciated.

From Kelsey Z.
Posted on September 23, 2006 at 04:40 AM
I think the going rate for Roth's these days is somewhere's in the 8-10 thousand range (someone correct me if I am wrong). If they are in perfect condition, even more.
From Gene Wie
Posted on September 23, 2006 at 10:19 AM
I owned a 1928 Roth (Guarneri model) prior to my current instrument. I purchased it for $5000 five years ago, and at least where I live that has gone up several thousand dollars for an instrument in superb condition...
From Jeffrey Holmes
Posted on September 23, 2006 at 12:13 PM
The Roth shop produced a number of different models (of varied quality) and condition is a variable in determining value as well. If you wish to be fair to your brother-in-law and yourself, it's probably best that you have the instrument appraised for "fair market value" (not "insurance value") by a qualified appraiser.
From Vivian Guo
Posted on September 23, 2006 at 01:37 PM
[quote]
The Roth shop produced a number of different models (of varied quality)
[/quote]

Maybe a bit off topic, but I am always interested in knowing whath the ranks of these Roth models are, eg. C????, IX, IR etc.

Would you experts shed some light on it? Thank you very much in advance.

~vivian

From Jeffrey Holmes
Posted on September 23, 2006 at 02:06 PM
There have been a number of discussions concerning Roths on another board. Here's one:

Roth discussion

If you're really interested in more information about the Roth workshop models, you may want to search for a '20s copy of their catalog (which lists the model numbers).

From JOSHUA RIVERA
Posted on September 23, 2006 at 07:13 PM
I took it to Mr. Lisle the local expert and he said the violin is worth $9,000 because of the fact that it is still in excellent condition and the sound quality. Does anyone know a website where i could look up a second opinion or possibly post it for sale if i wanted to sell it?
From Jeffrey Holmes
Posted on September 23, 2006 at 08:23 PM
Just for the record... and with all due respect... sound quality should not have a significant bearing on the actual value... the year, model, condition and quality of the example are the factors of appraisal.
("Gee, Mr. Perlman. Your Stradivari is sounding a little fuzzy this afternoon... I'm afraid we'll need to lower your appraisal by a million or so... :-)")

Sound will have bearing on the appeal (when one is selling and instrument), however.

Glad you had the fiddle checked out.

From JOSHUA RIVERA
Posted on September 23, 2006 at 09:04 PM
No offense taken however i am simply passing on what he told me. But you do present a very good point.
From Christina C.
Posted on September 25, 2006 at 01:11 PM
Roth's Website

From JOSHUA RIVERA
Posted on September 25, 2006 at 02:20 PM
Thanks for the info Christina. You guys are gonna love this one. Somehow an internet scammer saw my post. Look at this fradulent email I got

"Hello,
Thanks for the mail response, i agree with your price of $6000 for the violin. I will need your contact information for payment such as your name, mailing address, state and zip code including your telephone number.I will make payment with a certified cashier's cheque.

Note; There will be excess funds on this cheque. this same excess funds will be send to the shipping company who will come to your location for the pick up of the violin after you confirm the money in your account. I hope all is clear to you. I'm looking forward to have these infomations for quick payment delivery. Stay blessed and have a great day with your family.
Regards
Mark
"

I looked up the email address on Google and sure enough its registered to a known scammer who has conned several people...... I asked him for his shipping info so i can report him to the FBI
hahahahah im gonna mail him a box with a plastic violin!

From Terez Mertes
Posted on September 26, 2006 at 04:25 AM
>I looked up the email address on Google and sure enough its registered to a known scammer who has conned several people......

OMG, what an email to receive! And now I'm nervous - are you referring to someone who has recently posted here? (No need to name names...) if you don't want to answer this question, that's cool. You could, alternately, email me the info. While you're at it, please do include your phone number, address, social security number and credit card account number, because I'll want to send you a monetary thank-you for the reply. : )

From JOSHUA RIVERA
Posted on September 27, 2006 at 08:40 PM
Hahahah I dont know if he posts here on the site I doubt it. Usually they use search engines to find their victim. He is retarded because I told him I had a Fondola I would also sell him for 20000 and he said ok ill send 2 checks!!! The authorities said they cannot do anything unless he makes an attempt to pick up the violin and actually takes it into his possesion. I am not putting my violin at risk.........
From bill Pratt
Posted on September 27, 2006 at 08:50 PM
" looked up the email address on Google and sure enough its registered to a known scammer who has conned several people."

Heaven help those people who were actually scammed. God, some people are way too trusting.

From JOSHUA RIVERA
Posted on September 28, 2006 at 01:41 AM
The minute I saw the email I was like OMG you would have to be an idiot to believe this guy.

Hear more from the world's top violinists

Joshua Bell Our interview with Joshua Bell is one of more than two dozen in The Violinist.com Interviews: Volume 1, which also features talks with Sarah Chang, Maxim Vengerov, and David Garrett, as well as a foreword by Hilary Hahn.

Get it now! For Kindle | For iBooks | In Paperback

Chiara String Quartet

Contest: Chiara String Quartet

Enter to win "Brahms by Heart," featuring the Chiara String Quartet playing all from memory.