Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Books

Violinist.com Interviews: Vol. 1

Our exclusive, one-on-one interviews with 27 of today's best-known violinists, including Hilary Hahn, Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, David Garrett, Anne Akiko Meyers, Maxim Vengerov, and others.

How do I replace my tailpiece???

Life in general: Last time i tried, it didn't work out so well...

From Talia Glenn
Posted September 8, 2006 at 06:33 AM

I've tried to replace the tailpiece on my violin before and it was a disaster. The soundpost ended up falling. Luckily one of my teachers could replace it so I didnt have to pay to get it done. Can anyone explain to me how replace the tailpiece properly without damaging the instrument?

From Richard Hellinger
Posted on September 9, 2006 at 01:02 PM
Wow, Ive never had that happen, nor hear of that happening. I would suggest asking your teacher who he or she did it. They have done it before so they would know, also they can look at your instrument to tell how that happened.
From Paul Cook
Posted on September 9, 2006 at 06:30 PM
One solution is to take it to a luthier. There are many details to it, and the right measurements, etc. can make quite a difference.

It's also possible that the soundpost is short. My understanding is that releasing all the strings should not allow the post to fall, unless the violin is bumped or shaken.

On the other hand, it sounds like you are avoiding cost. If that's the case, then the best advice I can give is to hop onto maestronet.com and learn all you can from the luthiers about the methods and risks involved, and then decide how much you want to take on.

For the short term, I think the best route would be to find out the right measurements so you can cut the tail gut correctly, and just let the post fall if it wants to, and set it up again when it does.

From Richard Hellinger
Posted on September 9, 2006 at 08:17 PM
I wouldn't suggest setting up the soundpost again your self.
From Mark Wybierala
Posted on September 10, 2006 at 12:58 AM
Meisel sells a reasonable priced tail gut for entry level instruments that is virtually error proof for a do it yourself installation (as long as you are comfortable changing strings). It is a nylon cord that is threaded on the ends and you simply adjust the included nuts to obtain the proper length. A sound post should not drop when string tension is removed and if it does then the violin needed to see a luthier anyway. If you drop a sound post, leave it in the violin where it won't get lost. The cost of replacing a sound post will tripple if you loose the old one. Its definitely a bad idea to tune up a violin if the sound post is dropped.
Ilya Gringolts

Contest: Paganini Caprices

Enter to win Ilya Gringolts' recording of the 24 Caprices by Paganini.