Welcome to Violinist.com! Log in, or join the community!
Violinist.com
Facebook Twitter Google+ Email Newsletter

Books

Violinist.com Interviews: Vol. 1

Our exclusive, one-on-one interviews with 27 of today's best-known violinists, including Hilary Hahn, Joshua Bell, Sarah Chang, David Garrett, Anne Akiko Meyers, Maxim Vengerov, and others.

Wondertone Solo Strings

Instruments: Has anybody tried pirastro's new wondertone solo strings?

From Danny Gee
Posted August 27, 2006 at 04:09 AM

Has anybody tried pirastro's new wondertone solo strings? If so, what are your opinions?

From Richard Hellinger
Posted on August 27, 2006 at 05:02 AM
I have only tried the "E". But one of my recent threads on my disscussion about Kaplan strings was about this. The people I talked with said that they were brighter then Evah's.
From Frederick Rupert
Posted on September 25, 2006 at 03:38 AM
I tried them and didn't like them at all. I found them rather unresponsive and with a raw tone--except for the steel E, which was quite good. They are not nearly good as almost any other Pirazzi string. I must say I have a fine old instrument and it seems to highlight the good and bad points of different strings much more than modern student-level instruments. I moved them to a cheap old German violin my kid uses in high school orchestra. They sounded better on it but the responsiveness still did not please me especially.
From Gene Wie
Posted on September 28, 2006 at 05:05 PM
I really like the new Wondertone Solo set. On my instrument the G and D are very full sounding, with a bit of an "edge" that gives it a nice presence, though the D was a bit punchy the first day or so. I'm using the steel A and the new E and I'm impressed with how consistent the two strings sound with one another (i.e., string crossings in the upper register don't sound so funky anymore).

The only issue I've run into is that the vibration of the steel A is quite different from the synthetic A's I've used in the past, and the placement and feel of some of the harmonics isn't quite the same. It doesn't have quite the "give" of the synthetic. In any case I'm still getting used to it, but it's a good sounding string nonetheless.

Of course, I know they're going to behave differently on every violin. :P